1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Tivo Recordings to Editable Format?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CynPiz, Jun 14, 2012.

1. CynPiz

CynPiz New Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hello All - I would like to edit a Tivo recording that I transferred to my PC with TiVo Desktop. Is there any way to convert it to an editable format and then upload? Any help would be appreciated...

Using TiVo Premiere Elite - Windows Vista PC
  2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Download VideoReDo, I think they still offer a free trial.
  3. leiff

leiff New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I have plus version of .videoRedo Paid $20 for it I think. Has auto-remove commercial feature but runs kind of slow on my rig.
  4. CynPiz

CynPiz New Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Do you think VideoReDo is better than Roxio? I had so many giltches w/ Roxio that I uninstalled it a few years back. I'm afraid of it...
  5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    VideoReDo is one of THE best programs to use when working with .tivo files.
    If all you need to do is edit and convert .tivo files, then you only need the Plus version.

You can get a fully functional 15 day free trial if you register and request a trial key.
    When the trial runs out you can still use it, but the output file is severely limited.

They also have excellent support and have their own forum where you can get more info, get support for issues, etc.

6. RojCowles

RojCowles New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    VideoReDo Plus is probably better than Roxio, I had (still have somewhere) Sonic's MyDVD which was slow and balky and I uninstalled it too, VDR is a lot faster, more responsive, more reliable and still very usable (IMHO) , even on my 7 year old PC (1.8 GHz AMD Athlon/2Gb RAM).

In combination with "kmttg" its part of a really nice system for downloading a batch of shows from Tivo, strip the commercials with VDR and then, optionally, encode the video into a new format for archiving or use on a different device such as a tablet, media player or smart-phone. But I digress...
  7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    You can convert it to mpg for free with tivodecode (included with both pyTivo and kmttg) and edit it and save as avi (amongst other formats), again for free, with vdub.
  8. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Yeah, if you download them with kmttg or pytivo and have it decode them.. then you can edit them(*) with anything that can edit quicktime. E.g. I use MPEG Streamclip on the Mac.

(*) Well, MPEG Streamclip doesn't work for some recordings.. and I haven't seen any other of the players that work on the Mac that have even a semi-reasonable editing UI. Apparently some of those Windows apps do..
  9. royfernandez

royfernandez New Member

Apr 18, 2012
    You can try one of these free tools, Cuttermaran (not very user friendly), HDTVtoMpeg2 or Mpg2Cut2 (the interface is not great, but you can get your things done)