1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Tivo files

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SNJpage1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have a lot of concerts that I tivo'ed and wanted to just keep certain songs. Ive seen a lot of posts on programs that will convert a Tivo file to a usuable one for editing out parts that you don't want. They all seemed a little hard to use from reading the posts about them. So I looked around and for $29 I bought a program from Roxio called Video Copy and Convert 5. Turns out it will convert a .tivo file to a lot of different formats while removing the wrapper. I selected the WMV format. This allowed me to edit it in Windows Movie Maker and then save it as a MPEG4 file that I transferred back to the Tivo. I couldn't get it to fill the whole screen but it fills about 80% of it.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    VideoReDo is a lot easier for this sort of thing. I know it costs more, but you could have opened the TiVo file directly, edited however you wanted, and saved it directly to an MP4 file that would transferred to your TiVo will full screen video.

Dan

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That was a shameless plug for a product he produces, but he is absolutely correct. Many, many people here have tried many products, both commercial and freeware, and the overwhelming consensus is VRD is the platform of choice for what you are doing. There are some niche applications where other products work better, but for the price VRD is almost impossible to beat.

Now if they would only listen to my perpetual begging and produce a Linux suite... :(

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    VideoReDo does work very well.

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I usually try to avoid being a shill, but in this case it seemed necessary. :)

Dan

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Not to mention almost irresistably easy? :D

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    :D

Dan

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You forgot to mention the 15 day free trial.

Once he uses it and sees how easy it is...;)

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If there was a Mac version, and it allowed frame accurate editing, and played ALL video types, I wouldn't mind the spam.

(Currently, I use MPEG Streamclip, but it won't PLAY some files. mPlayer plays virtually everything, but it has no editing interface, so I have to tediously find the start/endpoints and still edit with MPEG Streamclip.. which works even on the files it can't play.)

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    My recollection is the 15 day trial is useless for all except making sure the app works as advertised. I recall only be able to edit the first few minutes of a video or something. (Years ago so my memory is appropriately hazy about the details.)

11. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Kmttg is great for getting the videos off TiVo and decoding to MPG.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You have to register for a 'trial key' to get full functionality, otherwise you are limited to 15 minutes of video output on your edit (or something like that).

13. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    How hard is the learning curve for using VideoReDo? I dont want to have to do any command line things just want a nice interface to work with.

14. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Took me about 10 minutes for the basics, and after editing 3 or 4 videos I bought my license. Best, most intuitive UI for editing videos I have ever seen.

15. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Looks like I should have downloaded the trial ver before buying the other program. I have tried the trial ver and it will do what I need to do. I did have a problem after trying it. I started having a problem getting it to run. I had already had it run a couple of times but then nothing. I would click on the desktop icon and nothing would happen. After doing the uninstall/reinstall everything was OK.
    Now I just have to decide which ver I want to buy.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you have any problems with it let me know. Or you can post over on our forums and either I, or one of my colleagues, will reply quickly.

Dan

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    All the most common features are extremely easy. There are lots of configuration options, so setting everything up exactly the way you want or need can take some time, but lots of users can use it right out of the box, as it were. If you are transcoding your material, there are lots of canned coding profiles, as well, and one or more of them may work perfectly for you. If not, you can always tweak them.

18. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Did the full TVSuite version ever add ac3 audio encoding?

I bought and use the basic mpeg2 version extensivly for editing but still have to have meGUI do the mp4 encoding. Would sure be nice to do it all in one program.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We only do AC3 pass through. So if your source file has AC3 then you can save the file, even to MP4, and retain the AC3 audio. However you can not convert from another format to AC3, or adjust the audio volume on an AC3 file, because we do not have an AC3 encoder. (the licensing for 5.1 AC3 encoder is very expensive and difficult to get)

Dan