1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converter Box ???

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Impozter, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Impozter

Impozter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Im confused about what tivos will work with a digital converter box? I just wanted to buy something cheap on ebay but im confused? It seems there are alot of options. I would like a list of tivos that would work with a converter box. I read that series 3 would work and also some series 2 and also that you could update the filmware, or buy some other box or cable? How do I know what to buy? Any info will help

thank you

2. Impozter

Impozter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    I wanted to buy the TiVo TCD140060 series 2

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Any (non-DirecTV) Series 1 or 2 should work with a converter box. Series 3/HD don't, but they support digital cable directly.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about OTA.

4. pdonoghu

pdonoghu New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    By converter box, I assume you mean a digital to analog converter box for over the air (antenna) reception.

Series 1 Tivos do not support converters. Series 3 do not support converters but do not need one as they have built in digital OTA (ATSC) tuners.

Most of the Series 2 models will work with Tivo approved converter boxes, see Tivo's web site for the list of approved converter boxes. Most notably, the Series 2 dual tuner, model 649, does not support an OTA converter.

Before all the postings start, you can kludge together a converter box with a Series 1 and Series 2 dual tuner, but it will not receive the sub channels, for example, channel 5.1. Not a very workable setup in my opinion.

While you can use the model 140 mentioned in your second post, you would be better off with a newer model 240 or even a 540.

5. Impozter

Impozter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Ok, so if I buy a TiVo NIB Series 2 540040 It will work with a converter box but I wont be able to get the sub channels? Thats the only draw back? Any other problems I shouls expect? Will I need to buy anything special to make it work?

6. Impozter

Impozter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Ok, Im confused again. All my channels are displayed with a sub#. For example Channel 11 on my converter box is shown as (11.1) and the sub channel is (11.2). Are you saying I will get 11.1 but not 11.2?

7. pdonoghu

pdonoghu New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    Just to confirm, you are talking about a converter for over the air, not a cable connection,correct?

As I indicated in my earlier post, most single tuner Series 2 models will work fully with an approved converter box. The limit on not being able to receive sub channels is only if you kludge a Series 2 dual tuner, or Series 1 to a converter box.

What you will need is an approved converter box, see Tivo's site for the ones that are supported (approved). You will need a subscription on the Tivo, or buy a used one with a lifetime subscription. Your Tivo will need either a plain old telephone connection or a network connection with a Tivo approved USB network adapter to get daily program guide updates.

8. Impozter

Impozter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Yes im trying to use a converter box for an over the air signal. Thanks for the help but lets recap.

As long as I have a subscription and a phone jack all I need to do is buy a signal tuner, series 1 or 2 tivo (with a few exceptions) and It should work? The only problem I might have is upgrading to an approved converter box?

9. pdonoghu

pdonoghu New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    Let's try this again. Series 1 and Series 2 dual tuner models do not support a converter box.

Series 2 single tuner models will work with a converter box and record all channels You need to use one of the converter boxes that Tivo supports, the list is on their web site. Your phone line needs to be a plain old telephone line, not a digital (VOIP) type phone line.

10. Impozter

Impozter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Ok, thanks, I think Im ready to move foward. Great job! This was my first time using a forum, thanks for your patience.

11. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
  12. Impozter

Impozter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hey, I just bought a new Series 2 540040 Tivo on B-Bay for $30.50. I think thats a good price, not much of a risk. Anyways I still hope you guys were right, thanks for the help! I have to wait a week for it to ship, and then I'm going to get the 1 year subscription.
    Regular TV is so bad, I need some kind of escape! I wanted to see what Tivo is all about. I've had a DVR before but paid $15 a month. I gave the cable company $290 overall and then had to give it back. Im going to get cable soon, when I do I'll just buy a dual tuner. Might need your help then?

Later

13. Impozter

Impozter New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Also looks like I have the RCA STB7766G1 also called the venture STB7766G1. It looks like I have an approved box. There is confusion about the codes for the box online because it has 2 names.

On the website is says the Venture STB7766G is approved. But Its missing the #1 at the end STB7766G
    STB7766G1

I think Im good! I hope its just a typo or an unimportant number?

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A Series 3/HD/XL will tune over the air antenna without a digital converter box and record 2 channels at the same time.

Series 2 will require the use of a converter box using IR control cables as if using the remote, but only can record/watch 1 channel at any time.

Series 2 Dual tuner will be just a single channel recorder when a digital cable box is used. This model will not work for Over the air signals.

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I use a Channel Master now, but I also have that same RCA model that I used briefly with my Tivo. I had trouble setting it up so I did a little research and found that it was the same as the Venturer so then I set it up saying that I had a Venturer box and everything worked.

16. geoman47

geoman47 ยก Member !

Sep 13, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, so I replied to this thread instead of starting a new thread because, well, I should have known better since I've had TiVos since 2002.

Let me cut to the chase and my question that maybe someone can answer:
    I boneheadedly (not a word, i know) bought a analog pass-through digital to analog converter box last week that might not be supported. From this thread, I saw...

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/310/kw/ota converter/r_id/100041

Hmmm... maybe it is there. I bought the Zinwell (decent reviews at Amazon). But when I look for Zinwell on my TiVo its not on the TiVo menus.

My question was going to be if maybe Zinwell is actually the same as a known brand such as GE or whatever?

But let me do some more research and figure this out. Thanks for the link in this thread. Anyone reading this should always check TCF before purchasing an "accessory" for their TiVo! :)

I'll post an update if I ever get a round tuit.

17. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The Zinwell should certainly be listed.

I noted it because I'd bought a Zinwell and was surprised to see it there on the TiVo website list-

My other converter box's brand was NOT listed.

Let me go to the TiVo website and see if I can find something that'll help you.

18. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Have you tried looking for "Zat" as opposed to "Zinwell"?

19. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    A thought just hit me-

What type of TiVo (model number) do you have, and did you, in going thru Guided Setup, tell it you're using OTA and a digital converter box?

I don't believe the converter boxes would be listed with the other boxes, like satellite or cable. Could be wrong on that, but I don't think so.

Tell us exactly what steps you took that led to the list of boxes you found, what the TiVo said on screen with each step, etc. (And don't forget to include the TiVo model number.)

20. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Zinwell IR code is 10112