1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling 2 devices on my slide remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Punker1234, May 18, 2013.

1. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Good afternoon everyone.

I'm at a loss here. I recently bought a Vizio soundbar to hold me over for 6 months to a year until I get a new place and upgrade to a full stereo system. I've had some luck and was able to program my slide so when I hit power, both devices come on, and when I use the volume buttons, it only adjusts my soundbar. Great right?

The problem I've been running into is that if my TV or soundbar don't come on, I have to then get up or grab the other remote to turn the device on/off. 1st world problem I know.

But I was reading and the Tivo website says I should be able to control multiple devices, or program them by pressing the number 1 or 2 button function on my remote. However, I can't figure out for the life of me how this works It doesn't seem to work, or it doesn't even explain how to control multiple devices. Any help or suggestions?

See bottom section for learning up to 3 devices.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278

2. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
  3. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Quoted from the link you provided:
    That sounds like it explains your situation exactly, thought it does not offer a solution.

4. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    USe the learning feature of the remote to program an unused button for the discrete power on of the sound bar. A prime candidate for this would be the input button.

5. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Hi.

I actually use my input. Are you sure you can use any button? Tivo websites specifically mentions 1 2 or 3. But its odd, they don't instruct you how to use those 3. So strange.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You cannot use any button on the learning remotes, just TV POWER, MUTE, INPUT, VOL UP and VOL DOWN, as indicated on that article.

As for the 1 and 2 buttons, those are only used to program in a TV POWER command for a second (1) and third (2) device. You cannot send a power signal to a single device if you've programmed in multiples to the Power button (as quoted by supasta above).

7. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Bummer, but thank you for the input and information. I love my slide, but maybe I need to invest in a Harmony.

8. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I use both. A Harmony 650 to power on my TV, sound bar, switch inputs, etc with one push of a button and then use the slide for the normal Tivo functions since its Bluetooth and doesn't require pointing.