1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Control TiVo without remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ChrisShaffer, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ChrisShaffer

ChrisShaffer New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    My parents saved a show on their old TiVo, which they no longer use. We'd like to watch that show on my TV. Unfortunately, they lost the remote. Is there any way to control the TiVo without a remote to watch that one show?
  2. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Any universal remote can be set up for tivo.
  3. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Depends on the TiVo, my Toshiba and Sony have controls on the box.
  4. evanborkow

evanborkow New Member

Mar 17, 2008
    If it's still subscribed, there are a number of network interfaces.
  5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    Only if it is a TiVo 3 or later.
  6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    Is it subscribed and what model is it?
  7. mrbenjie

mrbenjie New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Don't really see any way to control the TiVo with no remote.

But -- I have a really nice universal remote by X10 I bought for home automation that also works well with my TiVo (ALMOST all functions work but haven't figured out the advance / commercial skip button equivalent yet.)

For what you want to do, would work fine and REALLY cheap right now as they are blowing the out in anticipation of whatever is replacing it: only $4.99 at http://www.x10.com/promotions/ur73a_ed_499.html?EM#

(.. and no, I'm not getting any cut from that link. You can also go to the x10.com site, then click the SALE link and scroll WAY down to near the bottom if you'd rather.)

You might also just check around with friends and neighbors to see if anyone has an old universal remote they don't want anymore that they'll donate, and then look online for the manuals (since it's doubtful they'll still have them) to get the code for TiVo. But not likely the X10 remotes are going to last long at that price.

(I'm buying a few more just for the convenience of not having to take it from room to room and then look for it :)
  8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TC Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Directv and cable oem remotes have a tivo code built-in.
  9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    If it's a Philips brand TiVo or a TiVo brand TiVo a universal remote set up to run a Philips VCR will probably do what you want, or maybe an old remote for a DirecTV receiver made by Philips.
  10. philw1776

philw1776 New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    My Logitech Harmony remote controlled my TiVo series 2