1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Tivo Premieres

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by amseven11, Aug 5, 2013.

1. amseven11

amseven11 New Member

Dec 24, 2011
    I'm considering switching from Directv to cable and hate the old school moto UI so I was think of getting 3 Tivo Premieres. My cable company is Charter and I was just curious what/if there were any known issues as of late? I read a few horror stories about losing all channels etc. and that would not be acceptable but I guess more then anything I'm just curious what people using tivo's with charter's experience has been. To be clear I am not in a test market so the tivo's are not provided by Charter.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    At this point you may want to consider waiting for a new 6 tuner TiVo coming out rumored in September time frame. Combine with a couple of TiVo Minis if you need functionality at other locations in the house for a whole home solution. Of course you'd have to be willing to put up with early adopter issues and pricing though.

3. amseven11

amseven11 New Member

Dec 24, 2011
    As of now I would be fine with 2 Premiere's and 1 Premiere XL4, IF they are stable. Is that whole 'lossing every channel' issue still around or was it resolved?

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Several threads still on "Losing all channels". Some people have it, others don't. My 2 tuner units have never had the issue but my Elite has and still does once in a while. Elite is also too sluggish for my taste so I can't wait to dump it in favor of next, hopefully much faster model. YMMV.

5. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    i have 2 premieres and a premiere 4 and have never had a losing signal issue... if you want to wait two months i am switching back to direct tv and i will sell you mine :):)

6. Hi8

Hi8 TiVoPro - wanabe!

Mar 6, 2002
    I've had a Tivo since the first DirectTV model ... way back when...

I've just gone from the S3 (OLED display THX model) -

It has been a bit of a let down, thinking that the new model would surpass the old.

I found that the S3 seemed faster navigating through the screens. And I've got the SD screens selected on the Premiere.

Lost the front display clock, and the OLED display with I REALLY miss.

I do like the Mini connection - the single cablecard for 4 tuners, and the iPad App interface. It also does have faster show transfers to and from the device.

Other than that it's not much better that the ole' S3

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I have Charter- Riverside, CA. I have a Premiere, Mini and an XL4. They are fairly trouble free. Occasionally I have trouble while watching live TV with a switched digital channel and have to change the channel twice before going back to it and getting a signal. I've never missed a recording. It's usually a good idea to reboot the TA and TiVo once a month before the TiVo does so on its own at an inopportune time or the TA acts up.

8. nahtanoj

nahtanoj New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    tivo premier is much much better than most cable dvr units.

9. Butch32940

Butch32940 New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    I'm leaving TIVO with months left on my subscription. The last update (?) did me in. I was with them a long time but recently their service has deteriorated to a point that I can no longer tolerate.