1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering TiVo and Xfinity

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TiVoTom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. TiVoTom

TiVoTom New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    I had TiVo years ago with DirecTV and really miss it.

I have Uverse now but am just starting to consider switching to TiVo and Xfinity but I have a few questions:

1. I have 3 TVs. If I have TiVo on one and Xfinity boxes on the other two how will that work?

2. I read in an Amazon review of the Premium TiVo that there is a lot of TiVo generated advertising. Is that the case and is it a problem?

3. Does the new TiVo work as well as the old DirecTV TiVo's as far as Wish List and scheduling programs? Anything new that will blow me away.

4. With Uverse they advertise recording 4 HD shows at the same time. Turns out it all depends on the copper length to your house. I get 2 HD and one SD stream. Are there any similar gotcha's with Xfininty?

5. I hear rumors of a 6 tuner TiVo. Sill Xfinity support that?

Any other thoughts or suggestions regarding switching from Uverse to Xfinity and TiVo?

2. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Premiere 4 and Premiere 4 XL (I think that's what it's called, the main difference is hard drive size), record 4 channels at once.

Yes, they work as well as your DirecTivo.. Better, since you can download (non protected) shows to a computer, or use with a Tivo Stream, etc.

Tivos have some ads, but they are MUCH less intrusive than what I've ever seen on cable boxes.

I hate ads, and wish I could pay EXTRA for no ads, but again, Tivo's level of ads is FAR less objectionable than others, even though they're "all over the place".. They're in inconspicuous places in most cases.
  3. TiVoTom

TiVoTom New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Thanks mattack.

Any thoughts on how a mix of TiVo and Xfininty boxes will work together?
  4. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    They won't (work together). The Xfinity boxes will work as they do. The TiVo will work as it does.
  5. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I ran my Xfinity box beside my TiVo S3 box to permit access to on-demand stuff. Would just switch inputs to select the desired source. As noted above, they do not interact.

Fortunately, Xfinity on-demand stuff is supported by TiVo Premier in my area, so OUT went the cable box!