1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering downgrading Xfinity/Comcast and getting TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MzLoretta, Jul 20, 2013.

1. MzLoretta

MzLoretta New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Comcast has my bill getting close to $200/month ... and I'm watching less and less premium channel programming.

I'm considering getting their faster internet and smaller channel lineup for less than half of what I'm paying now monthly.

The Comcast deal is called Blast Plus or Double Play or something.

I'd like re-start my Netflix subscription and want Pandora and Amazon .... and to be able to record shows. TiVo seems like the rational choice. I was considering Roku, but don't think that's the ticket for me.

Looks like I'll need to grovel to Comcast and get a cable decoder card and TiVO Premier and save some serious cash. I don't need Comcast's DVR and bundle nonsense. I've never used the phone they forced on me.

Thanks for any help here.:eek:
  2. MzLoretta

MzLoretta New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Here's an update. Just called Comcast and have downgraded their service. Yes, I do need a cablecard decoder, but it's only a buck or two.

Am ordering my TiVo when I get my next paycheck. Yippee!! :D
  3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Use the TiVo as a DVR and get a Roku for the streaming services. The Roku runs circles around the TiVo for the streaming services. They both compliment each other very well.
  4. blips

blips Active Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Does Roku have commercials on the content they stream?
  5. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Roku is just a box, it does not provide content, it just enables you to access content. The content provider may (eg Hulu) or may not (eg Netflix) insert ads.

Actually, let me correct my self, on the Channel page there is an ad:
    In this case one for Vudu.
  6. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Roku is better but I use the tivo all the time and don't have issues. May not be the fastest but it def gets the job done and no need to change remotes/ inputs to use it.netflix and youtube (when I connect it to my smartphone to choose videos) work great on tivo.