1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a ReadyNAS need some info

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Ron DeGumbia, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Ron DeGumbia

Ron DeGumbia New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Considering setting up a readyNAS for use with my XL4. I was wondering what it will and won't do as far as storage and playback.

1. will it preserve the metadata such as show info, original air date, etc.

2. is there a way to stream movies to the tivo that were loaded to the NAS via PC?

3. is it possible to set the Tivo to Go folder, to a folder on the NAS?

and tips as to which ReadyNAS model to go with? I plan on using WD Red 3tb drives in RAID0

2. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    1. will it preserve the metadata such as show info, original air date, etc.

Yes, full description and air date/times.

2. is there a way to stream movies to the tivo that were loaded to the NAS via PC?

Stream - No, Transfer - yes. Only tried this with mpg files with no problems. You have to transfer the show from the NAS to the Tivo.

3. is it possible to set the Tivo to Go folder, to a folder on the NAS?
    As far as I've found out No. Some have suggested to map a network drive then place a shortcut on your desktop for the mapped drive, I haven't gotten it to work yet. I've got the readynas Ultra 6, using a combination of red/green drives with no problems yet:). The only thing I don't like about it is you have to mark programs Keep until I delete to have them transfered to the NAS, sometime this can take a couple days before it decideds to copy them, no way to just move everything but I guess it does what it's suppose to .
    Hope this helps.

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    You can set the ReadyNas to update daily. And yes it kinda stinks that you have to KUID in order to save them.

4. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Yea, have mine set for 2 am daily, sometimes it see's the new shows, sometime it'll take a couple days for them to come thru.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Hmmm, guess I've just never noticed that. Would be nice for Tivo to have a way to auto copy them to the NAS. Like a season pass or something.

6. Ron DeGumbia

Ron DeGumbia New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    thanks for all the info, much appreciated

7. en sabur nur

en sabur nur Member

Oct 30, 2007
    This is great news. I'm looking to
    put together the same setup.