1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component video outputs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by hybucket, Oct 16, 2013.

1. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    I was checking the Roamio specs, and notice there appears not to be a component video output on the basic Roamio. Can that be correct? So the only way to hook up the video is with an HDMI? I have an older TV with only one HDMI connector, and it is being used by my blu-Ray DVD player. I'm currently using the component connection on my TiVO HD. Am I correct?

2. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Correct, no component on any of the Roamio's. -- I was wrong about this.

I would suggest a new TV :p

Or you could either manually unplug the HDMI to the TV input....or look into an HDMI switch.

EDIT: Sorry...I was wrong above. HDMI only on the basic. The Plus/Pro have HDMI, Component and Composite

-Kevin

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Actually, the Plus and Pro models have component video + stereo outputs, the Basic has an "A/V" output that can be used with a breakout cable for composite only. I'm using my Pro component output to feed my Slingbox 350.

4. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
  5. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Thanks for the info...I took a look at the back of the basic unit...it appears that the composite output is marked A/V. How would you hook up audio with that one connection? I have my current TiVO HD hooked up to an audio receiver to output cable music stations to other rooms. How would I do that with only one connection (silly questions abound...)?

6. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Do you not want to use the Digital Audio (Optical) out for audio? Or maybe you can't?

For using the A/V connection, Tivo does sell a breakout kit that will take that 1 connection to either composite with audio or just component video:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

-Kevin

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Have you thought about buying a cheap HDMI switch? Then you don't have to worry about component video.

8. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    \

I would (and do now) use the optical for TiVO audio, but I also use the composite audio output - my audio system will not output digital audio.
    I checked out the "kit" - it's hard to tell, but, on the audio cord, isn't it simply splitting whatever is being output in two, and wouldn't a cheap-o Radio Shack splitter do the same thing (I would not need video cords)?

9. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Was not aware there was an HDMI "switch." Is it simply a splitter?

10. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    It splits it into three, not two. You get Audio Left, Audio Right, and composite video.

11. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    No it's a switch enabling "switching" between two (or more depending on the switch) sources to one output.

12. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    The AV connection on the basic is composite video and left/right audio only. It does not output component video. Only the mini has 2 separate 1/8" breakout jacks, one for composite with audio (yellow) and the other for component (green).

13. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    After looking at the start sheet, it looks like the basic doesn't even have the A/V port....just a composite connection.

So unlike the Mini, the basic can't use the breakout kit. Looks like they assume people would use either HDMI or if needed the optical for audio.

-Kevin

14. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    The composite output they're talking about IS the AV port!

15. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Yeah what's confusing is the Tivo Start Guide I posted the link for above. That shows it labeled as a Composite port, not A/V, which I assumed was the typical yellow video connection.

But the images I see online from other sites that show the actual Tivo show it labeled as an A/V port and it's the 1/8" jack.

-Kevin