1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component output for video works but composite output for audio problematic

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by marklyn, Jan 29, 2014.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I am using the component output on my mini to send the video to my TV and that looks great. But, when I hook up an AV output cable and plug both the red and white to my TV audio, I get an annoying buzzing noise over the audio.

If I unplug one of the red/white cables the sound is good but obviously mono.

Is this likely a cheap AV breakout cable? I'd like to hear from anyone who is doing this and getting stereo sound from both red/white cables.

*note* Can't use HDMI port since I've connected that up to a TV in an adjoining room.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    It sounds like you have an AV cable with incorrect pin order for a mini. You need to have one that is wired correctly for a mini. It can't be just any cable with a minijack on one end and three RCA connectors at the other end.

3. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I suspected that. I know I can get the one online but if I were to try to find one at a local electronics store, what might I be looking for?

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Look for one intended for use with a video camera and NOT one intended to use with an iPod. The ones intended for use with Apple products have the ground in the wrong location.

5. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    OK, so I'll go to the video camera section of my electronics store and I'm going to assume the packaging should indicate something to the effect that this is used with video cameras. I hope that the packaging describes it enough.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It probably wont describe itself well enough. The biggest problem you'll have is if the ground is in the wrong place. If the ground is in the right place and the others are mixed up then you can just swap around the connections until you find the combination that works. But if the ground is in the wrong place then it will not work at all.