1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Company Won't provide Cable Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by crabell, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Dec 13, 2006 #1 of 291
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    I just got my new S3 and called my Cable Company to coordinate the installation of the Cable Cards.
    To make a long story short my Cable Company (OneLink Comunications in San Juan, Puerto Rico) says they only provide ONE Cable Card and only to TV's, NOT other equipment, such as the S3. I tried to explain the the S3 is Certified by CableLab just like the TV's with no results. After discussing with the lady for over 30 mins she just said that I could either send a letter to Customer Support, since he's does not appear to be available via telephone, and/or file a complain with the FCC.
    What do I do?
    Should I return my S3 (purchased on the TiVo Community Store) or fight?

PLEASE HELP!!

2. Dec 13, 2006 #2 of 291
    dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    Take their advice and file a complaint with the FCC ...
    http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints_general.html

However, somewhere on this forum (sorry, can't find it ... I'm sure someone will post a link) is contact info for some people at Tivo to contact (who will probably resolve the issue quicker / easier).

3. Dec 13, 2006 #3 of 291
  4. Dec 13, 2006 #4 of 291
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Many of us didn't tell them we were hooking up an S3. We simply told them we needed two cable cards. :cool: If they would have asked me I would have told them two sets.

5. Dec 13, 2006 #5 of 291
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    I tried saying it was for a TV, but the lady said she needed the model number of the TV to pre-configure the card before the installation.
    That's when I had to "come clean" and tried to explain with no results. :(

6. Dec 13, 2006 #6 of 291
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Next time, tell them you are buying two lcds soon and haven't picked a model yet, but will have them by x day (same day you request the install).

7. Dec 13, 2006 #7 of 291
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    The "not-so-helpful" lady at the cable company told me she was writing a memo on my account about the conversation I had with her. I tried to convince her not to do so, but she said it "was not a problem" (the only time she tried to be nice). Therefore I don't think I'll be able to convince them I need the CableCards for another equipment.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and I may even try it (without giving my account number).
    Does anyone know if they really need the equipment's model number to pre-configure the cards? It kind of sounds like she made it up.

8. Dec 13, 2006 #8 of 291
    jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Just give her the model number is TCD648250B and that they can find it on the CableCards approved device list.

(They don't need anything from you to "pre-configure" the CableCARDs, that's just BS).

9. Dec 13, 2006 #9 of 291
    Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I don't believe they do. Cablecards aren't configured to a specific device until they are installed and matched to the Host ID of the device. I don't know if you can even tell what the Host ID is until you put a card in. Even then, the card is only tied to that Host ID, not the specific device make/model.

10. Dec 13, 2006 #10 of 291
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Just giving them the model number and "playing dumb" about the "TV Brand" sounds like a plan. I guess I could just say it's a "surprise holiday gift" and that's all my wife would tell me to get the CableCards in time for the Holidays.
    But what about the Second Cable Card? They keep saying they can only configure one card per account? Is there some kind of FCC requirement that is specific enough?

11. Dec 13, 2006 #11 of 291
    IzzyB68

IzzyB68 New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    As stated above, talk to Tivo. They should help straighten it out. From what I have seen they will call your cable provider with you to get it resolved.

12. Dec 13, 2006 #12 of 291
    minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    If you call back (without giving your account number), pretending that the cableCARD is for a TV, you could try saying that you want the second card to enable picture-in-picture on the TV. I googled, but couldn't find a TV that actually has two cableCARD slots.

13. Dec 14, 2006 #13 of 291
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    I want to get my Cable Proivider to talk to TiVo to resolve the situation, however it's not looking good:

1. I can't get a line through to TiVo! Every time call TiVo's 877... number I get a "Fast Busy" signal. I think TiVo did not include Puerto Rico in the "Toll-Free" area. Is there another non-toll-free number?

2. If manage to get someone at TiVo I would have to make a conference call with my Cable Provider to get them to talk to each other with me on the line (see #3 below). I can only do this at the office and I'm sure my boss won't like it, but I'll deal with that. Maybe I'll need to do it during my lunch break.

3. Being in Puerto Rico we speak Spanish and I'm not too confident that my Provider's "English Speaking" Representative will have a knowledge of the language that's "good enough". Note that I tried to explain the situation in Spanish and she just wouln't do it. I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

14. Dec 14, 2006 #14 of 291
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I believe that TiVo Customer Service is out West. Probably in California. If that's the case your chances of finding a Spanish speaking representative will probably be good.

15. Dec 14, 2006 #15 of 291
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    I think you are right, I might get lucky and find a Spanish Speaking TiVo Rep. , but I still can't find a way to contact Tivo via telephone (877 number does not work in my area)... :(

16. Dec 14, 2006 #16 of 291
    dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    Well ... they don't need to 'pre-configure' the cards. However, having the model number can be useful for the cable company and can be used to reduce problems during installation. Specifically, the cable company can check and see if any CA updates are needed to support a particular model. They can also check to see if there are any known issues ... or if the manufacturer has a firmware update available for the model that addresses any CableCard issues.
    Yes
    Doesn't matter if you want 1 or 100 ... cable company must supply them (although they can certainly charge for them). Also, it doesn't matter if you want a CableCard to put in a TV ... or to put in a frame and hang on the wall ... or pile in a stack of some sort of contemporary art ...

Also
    Again ... doesn't matter if you want 1 or 100 ... or what you want to do with them. Cable company must make them available.

17. Dec 14, 2006 #17 of 291
    IzzyB68

IzzyB68 New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    E-mail Tivo and see if they can give you another number. Also, they should be able to do the threeway, so you shouldn't have to worry about that either.

18. Dec 14, 2006 #18 of 291
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    I'm actually on hold with them right now (5 minutes so far). I managed to get through by calling the 408... number for the headquarters and asked for customer support. If they can do the three-way, even better...

19. Dec 14, 2006 #19 of 291
    IzzyB68

IzzyB68 New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Good Luck! I hope it works out for you.

20. Dec 14, 2006 #20 of 291
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Quick Update...

I managed to get through to Tivo using the 408... number listed on their web site (asked for support)

1. Was on hold for about 20 mins.
    2. I identified myself and explained the problem.
    3. Was placed on hold for another 5 mins.
    4. Made conference call with Cable Provider.
    5. First person that picked up the phone sent us back to the main menu.
    6. Second person that picked up was very nice, she verified the availability of the Cable Card.
    7. More hold time
    8. We asked for the Second Cable Card.
    9. More hold time.
    10. Said she could not configure the second card.
    11. I told her that was Ok, so we set up an appointment for this Saturday.
    12. TiVo Rep. said he would send a request to TiVo HQ to see if they can help me getting the second Cable Card.
    13. The whole thing took 1 hour flat.

Let's see what happens this Saturday... Wish me luck!

Since, if everything goes well, I get this one Cable Card working I will loose the "second tuner", do you guys think it is still worth it?

Thank you all... I'll keep you posetd!