1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Community S3E19 "Curriculum Unavailable" OAD 5/10/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, May 11, 2012.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Wow, I loved this episode. My favorite group of clips was from the mental hospital. "Should I increase their lithium? No, not yet, I want to see what happens when I confiscate one of their pens."

2. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I love these clip non-actual-clip shows. There were what, 20?, 30?, clips that were new. They did a similar one last season that was really good.

3. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Yes, I kept thinking about the large number of sets they had to do for all those clips. What's the opposite extreme of bottle episode?

4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I loved that one as well. The pen episode was great.

5. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    This episode was awesome.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I love this show so much! Great episode!

7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Terrific episode, but I hope this leads to the show dropping Ken Jeong's Chang from the roster at long last. It seems like even in Community's bent reality, there is no way Chang could keep Dean Pelton prisoner for two months and still be around the school (much less not in prison) after that.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

I get the feeling he isn't imprisoned. I kinda feel like he is at a Lady Gaga retreat or something and doesn't want to come back. While he likes the Greendale Seven, he doesn't like them that much......

9. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Brilliant ep. As is usual. I love how they create so many fake clips to throw in there. I think my favorite was the detective-noir paintball scene. So yes, there is still an annual paintball game, but there won't be another ep (diminishing returns and all that).

I got a very strong "Normal Again" vibe from S6 of Buffy - in fact, I have to believe it was intentional - in how the fake psychiatrist tried to convince them that everything that had happened previously had been a hallucination.

Otherwise, I liked the scenes in the "asylum" - so much greatness. I remember writing about the Christmas claymation ep how much I would have liked to see a DVD extra of the cast performing their parts, and this was kind of like a nod to that, with them acting out the paintball scenes and the trampoline from the Secret Garden.

I also liked how they brought up the whole "don't community colleges only go for 2 years" argument. :)

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I would think they do them throughout the year while they have the sets up. These sort of episodes don't just get written in one week. They have to be planned.

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The average community college student attends for five to seven years.

12. Aniketos

Aniketos New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    "I get it now. It just feels...forced."

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This is probably a true statistic since so many students attend part time. However, Jeff made a point in season 1 that he needed to do a "full load" in order to be out of there in 2 years.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I loved the clips of all the various preposterous classes offered at Greendale:

Advanced Breath Holding
    Can You Fry That?
    Ladders

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OK, what actual movie(s) was this spoofing -- that they're just really in a mental hospital?

The only one I could think of is:
    Identity.. Though upon rereading the info at wikipedia, it's not exactly that.. Though the funny thing is, I couldn't remember John Cusack nor Pruitt Taylor Vance's name.. I googled for "twitchy eye actor" and found the wikipedia page for Vance.. However, I read there that his twitchy eye thing, that many people have complained about, is actually a medical condition.

16. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    It wasn't a spoof of anything.

17. taronga

taronga New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Kentucky
    The first movie that came to mind was
    Shutter Island. Leonardo DiCaprio thinks he's an agent investigating an asylum but in actuality he's a patient.
    Though I'm sure there's not just one answer.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Why do you think it was spoofing a movie? While this show does spoof movies on occasion, they don't do it in every single episode. This was simply another of their non-clip clip shows, where they parody the old clip shows that sitcoms used to do, but inserting new footage into all the "flashbacks," so as to make it not only NOT a clip show, but actually more ambitious than even a regular show.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    And has a movie! :D

20. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    #fourteensemestersandamovie