1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Community bends Emmy Rules

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aadam101, Jun 18, 2012.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/have-the-emmys-bent-some-rules-for-community.html

Community has submitted itself into an animation Emmy category while animated shows are banned from submitting into the Outstanding Writing for a Comedy category. Animators such Seth MacFarlane and Matt Groening are complaining about it.

Normally, I'd be against this but the 8-bit episode was so awesome and original and better than anything that The Simpsons or Family Guy has ever done that I really don't mind. :D

2. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    Have they ever had an all human live-action version of The Simpsons or Family Guy?

I can see why these guys would be complaining - but it's not exactly that cut-and-dried, unless they've done a human version and were rejected when submitting it for comedy writing...

3. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Community had been kind of sucky for me lately but that episode was awesome.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Come to think of it, South Park did a live action bit. The episode wasn't really Emmy worthy though.

5. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA TCF Club

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Until this article, I didn't realize that Community had won an Emmy

6. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Nobody seemed to mind at the time when Community did the same thing (and, in fact, was nominated) with its animated Christmas episode from last season.
    Correction: the episode was not nominated - what part of "the show got zero nominations last year" did I not understand?

That may be because the category it won in - Individual Achievement in Animation - was one of the few remaining categories where they don't have nominations (instead, a panel looks at every entry and gives it an "up or down" Emmy vote, which pretty much has to be unanimous), so it never shows up in lists of nominees (remember, Community had "zero nominations" in the season in which it won its Emmy). The category is for individual artists.

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm very interested to see how this pans out. For a show like this, winning an Emmy is going to be tough if the people who voted don't watch it. You kinda have to know the characters to appreciate it. That is a very bizarre episode if it's the first time you have ever seen the show.

8. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
  9. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The response from the Emmy people sounds good enough for me. I am also surprised MacFarlane is on there. He seems like the type who wouldn't do that.

10. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    The link to EW reminded me I hadn't blocked Meebo on this laptop yet. Fixed.

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    What's Meebo?

12. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
  13. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I'm hot and cold with Community, but this was an outstanding episode. The animation and writing of the video game was terrific. I think it deserves the Emmy for animation over its competition. I think the academy's response is fair.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
  15. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    How do you block meebo? I'm annoyed with it.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That link tells you how to do it!

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Meebo is an Instant Messenger client/service that consolidates all your IM accounts so you can chat with friends and colleagues from a single interface. However, it was recently bought by Google and they shut the service down. Presumably they'll be integrating some of the Meebo features into existing Google products.

I have no idea what the annoying thing is that these other people are seeing.

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I remember that Meebo. I used to use it back in the day.