1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come Back Offer

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kturcotte, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Just got an email from Tivo (tivo@info.tivo.com) that seems legit, but also too good to be true.
    " As a former TiVo customer, you're eligible for an exclusive offer:
    For just $49 you can sign up for a special One-Time Service Extension plan and never pay another cent for TiVo service. Take advantage of this amazing, limited-time offer today!

The One-Time Service Extension plan only applies to the DVR for which it was purchased. It cannot be transferred to another DVR.

Call 1-877-367-8486 today and mention the One-Time Service Extension offer.

Thank you, and we look forward to you returning to the TiVo family."

Am I reading this right? Lifetime service for only $49? And if it is legit, how exactly does Lifetime work? What happens if the DVR needs to be replaced? What if I upgrade?

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Lifetime is for the unit...you can upgrade the unit (e.g., swap hard) and no problem. But you can't transfer lifetime (for no cost) to another box.

Can't comment on the veracity of the offer, but it does sound almost too good to be true...

3. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    It does sound like an offer to put Product Lifetime Service on your current (presumably older) unit for $49 instead of the $99 that they have been offering. What model TiVo do you have?

If the unit ever needs to be replaced, TiVo would probably sell you a refurbished unit (same model) and transfer the lifetime to it for a fee, but that fee would probably be more than the $49. Of course you're not taking a lot of risk at that price. If you upgrade, you would have to buy lifetime (or pay monthly) for service on your new unit. That would be unrelated to this special offer.

4. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I just got this email today too. I really like FIOS's multiroom PVR. But this might be worth doing at $49 even if I don't use my TIVO for another 10 months (Free multi room DVR for a year promotion).

I have the Tivo Premier (2 tuner device). Had service for about 2 years and canceled about 2+ months ago.

5. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    That's the Tivo Customer Service number and it seems believable to me. Tivo has had numerous $99 lifetime offers to existing customers on old equipment.

I assume you have an old Series 2, or perhaps even a Series3/TivoHD that you cancelled some time ago. I could see this being a push by Tivo to increase subscriber numbers by re-activating old boxes for a "to good to pass up" price. Tivo gets $49 and can count you as a subscriber for a while and boost their user counts and you get the use of your old box back.

Lifetime service is tied to the box. If the box dies the day after you pay $49, you just lost $49. You take a risk that the box will survive long enough to feel like you got your money's worth. At $49, I'd be happy even if the box failed after 6 months. If it kept going for more than a year, I'd be over the moon. If you upgrade, you can not transfer lifetime. Tivo has only allowed Lifetime "Transfers" during rare promotions, and even then you had to fork over $199.

Ultimately, its up to you to decide if you want to pay $50 for service that last as long as the box is working. What model Tivo would you be re-activating?

6. tgrim1

tgrim1 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Iowa
    I came here to ask the same question. I just got the same email. Ive had Tivo for years with both OTA and cable and cancelled service (after they gave me a free 30 days) 2 months ago to go OTA with an HTPC. If this offer is true I could use this Tivo in the bedroom networked to the HTPC! Basically saves me money from getting a WDTV or Roku plus still have recording OTA capabilty.
    I'll check back after the call.

Edit: Mine is a premier that I put a 2TB drive in.

7. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I can confirm that it's real. I called Tivo, and asked them about the promo/deal, and after being put on hold for about 2 mins, was told Lifetime could be added to my Tivo Premiere (2 tuner, plus 2 OTA tuners) for $49. I agreed, and after hanging up, let me Tivo connect, and it did say Lifetime was activated under Information.

8. tluxon

tluxon Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    How long had you not used your Premiere prior to getting the offer? Adding the $49 to what you paid to fulfill the original contract, do you figure you're saving anything compared to if you had gone lifetime from the start?

I'm looking at adding a Premiere to our network and this has got me wondering if it could possibly be as cost-effective to forego lifetime up front (like I did with our two TiVoHDs 5 years ago) and wait for a special offer like this.

9. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I will bet that you would need at least 2 years at the monthly rate, some TPs were sold for $0 and a 2 year commitment at about $20/month, so that would $480+$49 for a Lifetime TP, you could get the TP for about $60 or so some years ago + $400 for Lifetime, not much difference in total price.

I don't think you can take a TP for a few months at some monthly rate than get a $49 Lifetime offer.

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    I spoke to a CSR who said the promo should be good for 30 days and only valid on deactivated units. Do I tempt fate and cancel service on the Premiere I was hoping to replace with a Mini and then try to get it? ;)

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I just tried this on a deactivated 2-tuner Premiere and my TSN did not qualify. The CSR said the reason it didn't qualify is because it's a series 4 unit and this offer is for series 3 units. Not sure how others in this thread are getting their Premiere's re-activated if that's the case. I then asked if there were any other promos for re-activation of series 4 units and there was nothing besides the $399 MSD lifetime.

12. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This makes sense on deactivated Series 3 units since they were already unofficially offering $99 lifetime on those units when someone upgraded to a new Premiere box. I wouldn't be shocked if this was also available on deactivated Series 4 units. This could result in a slight improvement in the churn numbers that will be reported for M/E Jan 2013 on TiVo's February 26th earnings release.

13. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I just got this as well. Its for a Tivo that I had on contract for a year and then cancelled it after the year was up. I paid $14.99 a month for a year on this box, and I bought it from Electronics Expo when they had a sale for $49.99 with free shipping. That seems like such a huge loss for Tivo to go from $399 to $49 Lifetime on a Premiere box that was just used for a year.

Tivo Offer.jpg

14. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This costs TiVo nothing. It will result in the TiVo-Owned ARPU dropping slightly since the $49 lifetime will likely be amortized across 66 months -- $0.74/mo. From a company perspective this turns a box that was producing zero revenue into something that is positive, reduces churn, opens up the advertising possibilities, and allows for additional revenue from On Demand, etc.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    From what I was led to believe by CSR, if you don't get an email from TiVo then your TSN is not on the qualifying list. Can't hurt to call and try anyway like I did - it was a pretty quick phone call (under 10 minutes total).

16. tgrim1

tgrim1 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Iowa
    That makes sense.

I called today and they let me do both Tivo boxes, Premiere and an HD for 49/each lifetime.

Awesome!

17. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    I was thinking the same thing.

I called and the rep said that none of my units showed any offers. I did have one Premiere, that had been activated under the 30 day trial, and then cancelled. The rep said that it didn't qualify either. Not even my deactivated Toshiba SD-H400 qualified!

Now this is the weird part. I have a Premier on the old $6.95. I asked him if I could transfer it to an Elite. He said yes. I didn't buy the Elite from Tivo, so I don't know how they could do it.

Guess what? I only have the one Elite and I just bought Lifetime on it, a short time ago.

Darn, If I only had another Elite, I'd like to see if they would really do it. Oh well.

18. jcondon

Jul 9, 2003
    I just called and got this on my Premiere. Going through the guided setup (different provider then I had before).

19. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...

Did you get the email?

20. jcondon

Jul 9, 2003
    Yes. I had service for a bit shy of 2 years. Turned it off 2+ months ago. Got the email today. Checked here to see a few other people got the same. So I call a bit ago and took them up on it.