1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast / Xfinity OnDemand VOD not full screen?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by fjork_duf, Apr 13, 2012.

1. fjork_duf

fjork_duf New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Hey guys realized my TiVo now has the comcast / xfinity on demand feature. I'm stoked, however I noticed the display seems to have a bug.

It seems that when in the on demand / xfinity application the picture is not formatted to go to the edges of the screen. The regular menus take up the full screen with no black bars on the far left and right sides. Before you say I'm watching a 4:3 formatted show that's not what the issue is. I tried both 4:3 and 16:9 HD content from HBO. The 4:3 stuff looks normal with the black bars I'd expect but the 16:9 HD content does not take up the full screen.

However I can watch movies recorded by the tivo box and they take up the full screen as expected. Is this a bug? Is there any way to fix this? I tried messing with the video settings, I've allowed 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i/p in the video menu and the issue still isn't fixed.

I searched the forum here and couldn't find any threads with the issue. I can snap a photo if necessary.

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. falcon26

falcon26 Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Northern Ca
    No your not the only one. I was just about to post the same problem. While watching Grimm it also had the black bars on both sides. No matter what format I use its their. It was in HD but still had the black bars like it was running in SD. I hope this is just a bug and it gets fixed soon...

4. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    It looks like they ported the Xfinity app from the Comcast TiVo box. The menus are in the SDUI!

5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    just be glad you have cox customers are waiting for it.

6. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Yikes, have you tried watching any 3D VOD content???? It's a mess! Those black vertical bands are on the left in one eye, and the right in the other, so about a quarter of your entire screen is messed up!
    C'mon Tivo and Comcast- get it right!

7. cwashizawa

cwashizawa New Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Verified; I live in the SF bay area and in fact the Comcast on-demand menus are in SD.

8. May 1, 2012 #8 of 28
    rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Tivo Margret asked me to do the following:

Would you mind testing a few configurations of video output formats and aspect correction mode and see if you are able to find one that makes the bars go away? It will help us understand why some users see it.

If so, please try:
    720p only - Full Aspect Correction
    1080i only - Full Aspect Correction
    1080i + 1080p - Full Aspect Correction
    720p + 1080i + 1080p - Full Aspect Correction
    720p + 1080i + 1080p - Panel Aspect Correction

I can verify that options 3 and 4 didn't work for me :( I am testing the rest when I get home.

9. May 7, 2012 #9 of 28
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I notice the same black bar video issues. I also noticed that you cannot use the Zoom button to change viewing display options when watching OnDemand. It is quite odd, definitely not an issue I expected to see on initial roll-out since presumably testing was done before hand in beta testers hands for quite some time.

10. thomperman

thomperman New Member

May 25, 2011
    I tried the settings below as requested and none of them solve the problem.

720p only - Full Aspect Correction
    1080i only - Full Aspect Correction
    1080i + 1080p - Full Aspect Correction
    720p + 1080i + 1080p - Full Aspect Correction
    720p + 1080i + 1080p - Panel Aspect Correction

I also tried changing the black bars to grey, and they show up grey on the HD OnDemand shows, so it appears to be a Tivo Issue.

11. JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    To add to the chorus, I confirmed last night that an HD VOD show (Smash) is playing with narrow black bars on the side for me as well.

It appears to be wider than 4:3, but it is clearly not as wide as 16:9. The aspect ratio looks right to me, so I think they just cut off the image at the edges. If we have to have black bars, that's better than squeezing the full image into the narrower space.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Has Tivo weighed in on this at all, apart from Tivo Margaret's request for experimentation?

12. thomperman

thomperman New Member

May 25, 2011
    I sent her a note on Twitter today asking if the Comcast on Demand aspect ratio issue would be fixed with the upcoming software update.

Sadly, she said 'no'

But, she did say they were working on it!

13. thomperman

thomperman New Member

May 25, 2011
    Anyone in the new VOD areas having this problem?

14. sideshot

sideshot New Member

May 9, 2008
    yes i am having the same thing and i bet everyone is.

15. Ron-retread

Ron-retread New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    San Jose CA
    Ignorance is bliss. I've only had my Premier a few days, and I hadn't noticed the bars til I read this thread! Now they bug me, lol. It's not just movies, I see the bars on the menu also, when I go to Xfinity Video On Demand which is displayed in HD, before I even select a movie. I think somehow Comcast screwed up the TiVo app.

16. TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Hi all,

We have a fix for the sidebars you see when watching Xfinity On Demand coming soon. Stay tuned.

--Margret

17. jaredmwright

jaredmwright New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Excellent news, I can't wait to test it out with some 3D content and watch HD content in native resolution and format.

Will this require a software update for our devices, or be a back end change that Comcast can make on the fly?

18. sideshot

sideshot New Member

May 9, 2008
    good to see. my XL4 should be here 6/15 then i get to do all my updates all over again:rolleyes:

19. markofzorro

markofzorro New Member

Jun 13, 2012
    This may help. If you are running your monitor from a computer running Xfinity On Demand, you start running the video. When you click on the running program the bar that appears below the video has a white box on the right. Clicking this will take you to full screen.

20. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    is on-demand PQ better/worse than 1080p Comcast broadcast? I'm awaiting delivery of my s4