1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Xfinity on Demand - GSM errors

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jfh3, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1 of 46
    jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I would start a new one with information on specific errors.

I am in Colorado, where Xfinity on Demand is supposedly live. I have the XOD logo under Find Programs now, but when I select it, I get the following error:

Service Error
    Request failed. Please try again. If problem continues, call your cable operator. Reference (GSM-2) when calling. The locale code is tivocardio-ch2-a2p.comcast.com

I called Comcast and they thought the problem was that I did not have a VOD code on my account. They added it and then de-paired, re-paired the CableCARD and sent an AUTH signal to it, but I still get the error (I did check the CableCARD status and made sure the card was validated).

Assuming that the locale code refers to some sort of VOD or heartbeat server, I tried to ping it, but the Comcast DNS didn't recognize that address (and I don't even know it is a proper server name - that was just a guess on my part).

Does anyone who has Xfinity on Demand have any experience with this GSM-2 error (or GSM-7 that some others are seeing)?

2. Sep 6, 2012 #2 of 46
    rparadis99

rparadis99 New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I also live in the greater Denver area. I saw some problems (don't remember the exact error messages) when initially trying to connect to Xfinity OnDemand last weekend. I rebooted the TiVo Premiere and everything was fine after that. Have you tried a reboot?

If the reboot, doesn't fix it I would suspect (like you) the CableCard. Let me know if you want me to confirm any values/settings under:

Settings > CableCARD > CableCARD Decoder > CableCARD options > CableCARD Menu

3. Sep 6, 2012 #3 of 46
    jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Thanks. I have tried a reboot. I also went online in my Tivo account, unchecked all the video selections, saved, rechecked them and forced a connection.

As for my CableCARD - it is validated correctly and I can see premium channels, so I presume the card is working.

I am waiting a call back from a Comcast rep that is trying to find what GSM-2 means.

4. marwatk

marwatk New Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I'm getting the same thing, also in Denver (Broomfield actually). There's a thread about GSM errors on the comcast forum as well. I can't post a link but it's the first google result if you google "xfinity tivo gsm-2"

I have a service appt scheduled for tomorrow, we'll see...

-Marcus

5. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Settle in for a long afternoon. Given your location, I suspect we are on the same headend. If your tech manages to find someone who can find out what GSM-2 means and how to fix it, please post here.

I had a very nice tech, but after three hours we weren't any closer to having the answer. He did agree with me that it's almost certainly a problem on the Comcast side and that the truck roll was pretty much a waste of everyone's time. What is absolutely stunning is that the techs don't have access to search the call logs, so they have no way to find out how many others are having the same problem and where they are.

6. marwatk

marwatk New Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I got a call this morning before my appt from someone who was on vacation last week. She sounded like she knew what she was doing and said it appears to be an issue on their end that they're working on now. They cancelled my appt and said they'd call me later today with status on it.

7. mwidmannusa

mwidmannusa New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I am having the same issue with Xfinity on Demand. About 10 calls to comcast and tivo and a new CableCard (that didn't appear bad and didnt fix the issue). Everyone is stumped as to the issue or ownership of the problem. Comcast is working hard to fix it but based on this forum, they must be getting a lot of calls. No doubt they will get to the bottom of it but i am frustrated. Does anyone know if this is working anywhere in Broomfield/Colorado? or is this just a few customers with the issue?

8. marwatk

marwatk New Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I started getting a new error (GSM-11), so I think they're making progress. Or at least breaking new stuff. :)

9. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    It is working for me now (I am near Broomfield, on the Thornton headend). I am still trying to track down the tech that identified the problem and fix, but here is what I know:

- GSM-2 error gave way to GSM-11 before the problem was fixed.
    - a manager of a Colorado tech 2 team told me that a fix was implemented this morning.
    - you ABSOLUTELY do not need a truck roll to fix this - if your CableCARD is/was working, it does not need to be swapped/re-paired/re-validated
    - you MAY need to reboot your TiVo if you see a GSM-11 error (for me, I had to reboot one box, didn't with the others)
    - make sure you have the VOD channel selected in the Channel List (should be on by default, but check)
    - I found at least 4 people who had the same issue I did; all of them have XOD working now.

10. jfink22

jfink22 New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Called Comcast and they 'reauthorized' the cable card said to leave the box on for 45 minutes. 2 hours later still GSM2 error.

FML :(

11. ancientstorm2006

ancientstorm2006 New Member

Dec 17, 2012
    I have never been able to use this app. I am in Loveland. First, it would let me search all shows and movies on VOD. If i tried to play it, it said Rewind is not available and nothing played. Then, I saw the first 2 seconds of each movie i tried to play and then the picture froze. couldn't get past this. Now, It is giving me the gsm2 error. Ive called denver comcast and phillipines comcast. they all tell me Im subscribed, send signals, and even the tech came out, saw the tivo, and said they dont support VOD on cablecards. I called today and they are escalating it to advanced tech. Also, every rep i talk to tells me something different and gsm-2 is waaaay too advanced of an error for them.

12. Bonkey3

Bonkey3 New Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Just started getting this error...not connecting to Xfinity Video On Demand. From reading these posts, I have looked at the settings on line, rebooted, checked machine settings. Still on fence about calling Comcast. Probably will wait a few days. Any other suggestions? All other broadband connections work including Netflix and Amazon. Located in Chester County Pennsylvana.

13. caryrae73

caryrae73 New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    I started getting the gsm 11 error a couple days ago. The XOD was working just fine since it was available in my area which has been a few months now.

14. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    GSM-7 on one machine and GSM-11 on another since yesterday 4:00 PM that I'm aware of. How long has my VOD been "out"? I don't actually know - I seldom ask it to do anything! I'm in 25414 and I've seen issues from different parts of the country!

I mentioned in another thread that my TiVo was "hired" to record and playback at my convenience and it's doing that! I guess the rest is a damned nuisance to try and keep track of.

15. dlca1

dlca1 New Member

Mar 15, 2013
    We suddenly started getting the GSM-7 error on both of our Tivo-Premeires when trying to access VOD yesterday. Still having issues today.

Live in Northern California (94539)

Haven't bothered calling Comcast yet (don't feel like sitting on hold forever)

16. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    I wish we could get VOD where I live.

Does anyone know how to speed up the process to get VOD for TiVo in a specific market?

17. Anthos

Anthos New Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Chester county here as well, also getting the error.

18. g-man

g-man New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Redwood...
    GSM-7 since yesterday for VOD.
    Bay Area.

Called Comcast and they sent a signal. Didn't fix. Called cablecard dept and apparently they're aware of an outage.

Said to just keep checking.

19. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    If you're wanting to check your TiVo for it you need to do a restart before checking! I don't believe the code will go away until after a restart. I was asked by Comcast when they called me this evening to do this before checking. I believe after a restart and if it's NOT fixed the GSM-7 will change to a GSM-11.

Settings > help > restart OR pull the cord.

20. g-man

g-man New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Redwood...
    Fixed. Didn't even have to reboot.