1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast vs UVerse

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WebG, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1 of 15
    WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Due to circumstances beyond my control, I may be forced to drop Comcast and sign up with UVerse.

We already know that the current HD TiVo boxes don't support UVerse, so that's not the question. And with luck, I may only need to be on UVerse for a short period of time before I can return to the comforting bloop bloop bloop TiVo soundtrack.

So here's the Q that's weighing on my mind: what are the chances that the S5 (or whatever they're calling the pending 4/6-tuner units later this year) would support Uverse **and/or** Comcast?

What are the downsides I'll find with UVerse, other than not being able to use TiVo? Any upsides?

2. Jun 3, 2013 #2 of 15
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Downside is when you get "all tuners are in use," which is rare.

Thw upside is you have a good DVR, Video on Demand is great, and you can use the online apps like HBO Go, MAX Go and Showtime Anytime.

3. Jun 3, 2013 #3 of 15
    WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Luckily, with an S3 Lifetime, I've become skilled at sticking with just two recordings at a time (while watching a previous recording). Chances of going over 4 tuners in use -- it's 4, right? -- should be relatively easy to avoid.

Agreed about better GO app availability, but it hasn't been a major issue for me thus far.

Any internal wiring, wireless etc that I should be aware of? Every TV has both COAX and one Cat-6 port accessible.

4. Jun 3, 2013 #4 of 15
    zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    You left out slower internet speeds compared to Comcast.

5. Jun 4, 2013 #5 of 15
    MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It's all twisted-pair Ethernet so they'll love your Cat-6 ports. The RG has 4 100mb ports and they will supply a 100mb switch.

They can use the existing Coax with the built-in HPNA, too.

If you get Uverse phone service you can have visual voicemail (with a combined mailbox with at&t wireless) and Caller ID on the TV.

6. Jun 4, 2013 #6 of 15
    WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    All that's well and good, but I'm just angry about being forced to give up TiVo. Especially if I end up actually (shudder) liking UVerse.

7. Jun 4, 2013 #7 of 15
    moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    And more expensive too.

While I don't have Comcast, I do use another cabelco for internet/phone after dropping U-Verse. I switched 3 years ago and I'm still paying $10 less for 15/2 internet with full featured phone service compared to what I was paying U-Verse for 6/1 internet and full featured phone service. And U-Verse has gone up since then.

I feel sorry for you being forced to switch to U-Verse. One of my sisters has U-Verse and the PQ is sub-par compared to Dish (my current tv service) and Comcast (which my other sister has).

As far as your Tivo is concerned, hook it up to a good antenna and record ota. At least that way your ota programs will have good PQ.

8. Jun 4, 2013 #8 of 15
    WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    This is a thought. Would hate to end up having an unused Lifetime box sitting around when it could be shown a little bit of love until the Cable Fairies come back through.

9. Jun 4, 2013 #9 of 15
    MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Keep your TiVos for OTA and have a better picture than any pay TV service.

10. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    What planet are you on? Comcast service sucks and they're constantly figuring out ways to make the bills higher. Like "free" DTA suddenly have a monthly fee to serve you better. Monthly outlet fees when the outlets don't cost them a dime.

Or like in my case where they absolutely could not make my CableCARD bill right. I know they were actually convinced that I was stealing if they didn't' charge me a digital STB I didn't need and at the rate of two for each TiVo.

Besides having the Comcast truck stop in front of my house and shred my cable while I watched and then not allowing me to report the outage for two days after which they said I'd have to wait because it was the weekend.

When I cancelled they charged me for an extra month because I didn't wait while the rep finished closing my account.

I have EIGHT HD STBs with UVerse with a Total Home DVR. I don't pay extra for any of them.

11. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Sorry, I should have made it more clear that U-Verse was more expensive than the service I get from my cabelco and not Comcast. I won't defend Comcast, but U-Verse always had yearly increases while I was with them. And while you may have had cable card problems, at least Comcast works with cable cards and purchased modems. U-Verse doesn't work with anything but their own equipment (I really hated their second rate modems).

How in the world did you get that deal? And why have that many stb's? I thought the U-Verse gateway only works with four streams? And don't your internet speeds suffer when you run more than three HD streams?

12. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I have that many STBs because it was the most I could get. :D I only have 5 active. One is on an ElGato HD recorder.

I can get 3 HD feeds plus 1 SD feed at the same time, and the DVR will record all of them. The maximum bandwidth depends on how close you are to the VRAD. My VRAD is on my back fence - to the point where the signal was too strong.

13. smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    The 2 things that Tivo has that Uverse doesn't are Wishlists and Suggestions. These 2 things were important enough to me to go back to cable for TV. I still have Uverse for internet and phone.

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The question you didn't answer is how you managed to get them to waive the box rental fees.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA