1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast transition to MPEG4

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GMonitor, Dec 14, 2016.

1. GMonitor

GMonitor New Member

May 23, 2007
    I just got a letter from Comcast telling me that they are transitioning to MPEG4. Luckily I have a TiVo HD, TiVo Premiere, and a new 500 GB TiVo Bolt (still unopened) that handles MPEG4. I am planning on upgrading my 500 GB Bolt with a new internal drive and am now wondering with the switch to MPEG4 this means that the recording capacity of 500 GB should now be increased from the current 75 HD hours to something more. Does any one know what the improvement should be? Will 500 GB now handle 150 HD hours in MPEG4 format? If the improvement is great enough, I might not need to upgrade my Bolt's hard drive.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. Sgt Howl

Sgt Howl Member

Jan 18, 2013
    It's most definitely not an improvement, unless you're a Comcast stockholder I suppose. Picture quality sucks since this "upgrade." Lower bitrate, resolution dropped from 1080 to 720. My eyes don't deceive me.

4. buccobruce

buccobruce Member

Aug 25, 2007
    But, in response to your original question, most programming that has been converted to mpe4 takes about half the space that they previously took, thus increasing recording capacity.

bb

5. webminster

webminster Member TCF Club

Dec 12, 2016
    Yes, the mpeg4 channels look lousy. One thing to note, here and at least most other places, local channels are still mpeg2 as before (thank God). So they'll still take the same space, if you record mostly from ABC, CBS and the like.

6. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    MPEG-4 looks horrible. Their MPEG-2 channels ranged from about 9mbps to 17mbps, with most in the 10-14mbps range. 9mbps would be 4GB/hour, 17mbps would be 7.6GB/hour. Their MPEG-4 is 3.8-4mbps, or 1.7-1.8GB/hour. Keep in mind that local channels are still MPEG-2, so depending on your mix of national and local channels, your capacity can vary widely. Right now, I have national channels at 3.8mbps MPEG-4, and one local at 13mbps MPEG-2, so my recording capacity could vary widely depending on the channels I am recording. I don't know the actual bitrates of my new cable provider that I will have on Tuesday when I switch, but based on looking at them, I'm guessing 14-15mbps or higher, so my drive will have a lot less recording capacity, but with far better video quality.

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I haven't seen any diff in the converted channels here. And everything except locals and a few sports channels were converted, including premiums.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I wonder if it's dependent on the previous build in the area? I'm in the Philly burbs and we haven't been switched over yet, maybe we'll get lucky too.

9. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I'm still rocking a 55" Panasonic Plasma from 2007 that I'm hoping lasts me until the OLED TVs come way down in price. It's a 720p set, so I'm guessing I won't notice this change as much as those of you with 4K TVs. At least I hope that's the case. I can't even say if my area has switched yet to MPEG-4, since I haven't seen any muddy channels. But I am following this thread in hope things improve greatly before I actually upgrade my TV.

10. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    how can one tell if the channel is MPEG4?

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Account & System Info, TiVo box Diagnostics, then scroll until you see your channel (tuner) and look at Video PID. MPEG4 shows as H.264 I believe.

12. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Just got my first H.264 Comcast channel, its HBO-1, the space for the program is about 1/3 of the MPEG4 space, the TiVo disk space is now going to be off. A 1/2 hour HBO-1 program used less than 1Gb on the drive, from ABC (that is at 720P) a 1/2 hour show uses about 2.6 to 3 Gb.

13. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    What do you think of picture quality now vs. before if you watch much HBO?

14. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I watched John Oliver, did not notice any difference except on FF at the start of the show and my HDTV now said 720P, use to be 1080i for that channel. A movie may be different.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  15. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Try watching sports. It's horrendous. John Oliver is pretty easy to compress and isn't that critical for video quality.

16. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    This really has me nervous as I cannot get FIOS where I live and am stuck with Comcast for the immediate future.

17. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    DirecTV? I am lucky enough to have a local overbuilder. Not sure what I'll do next time I move... I may cut the cord, I may do PS Vue, or if I have roommates to share the costs, I might do DirecTV.

18. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Can't do DTV in my condo so options limited. Will be moving in 6-12 months so can ride it out if needed.

Bigg likes this.
  19. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Don't watch sports, does HBO have sports?

20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    ESPN does. If you don't have MPEG-4 ESPN yet, you will soon.