1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast To Buy Time Warner Cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MeInDallas, Feb 12, 2014.

1. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
  2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Somewhere John Malone is using language that cannot be used on his cable systems

3. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    WOW! looks like charter screwed up! I wonder if the FCC allows this?,If they do then i would think DIRECTV and DISH may try to merge also.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow. I simply cannot see this getting through the FTC. (not typo, I didn't mean FCC)

5. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    The FCC will rake them over the coals, but the Supreme Court struck down the previous cable sub ownership cap that was in place (~30% of the market was the previous cap)

Cable mergers are interesting because cable companies don't compete. This will impact competition by absolutely zero. However, Comcast owning NBCUniversal makes it a little different.

Even if this goes through (and Comcast is supposedly willing to sell 3 million subscribers) it doesn't necessarily mean anything for the satellite companies, since they actually do compete with each other. This is more like SBC and BellSouth merging to become AT&T, and less like AT&T trying to buy T-Mobile.

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm betting this goes about like the failed AT&T/T-Mo tie-up.

7. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Am I correct in thinking that Comcast doesn't put the copy flag on aggressively like TWC (basically everything). If so, I hope this goes through.

8. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm wondering does Comcast use tuning adapters :confused:

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Except, of course, eastern NC or all of it could be the part of TWC they have to divest themselves of to keep the rest and who knows who they'd sell to.

10. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    My son, just outside Philly had Comcast and they used an ordinary Motorola box up there.

11. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Totally different dynamic. TWC/Comcast don't compete. AT&T/T-Mobile eliminated a competitor in the marketplace.

They do not. However, Don't jump up and down yet. They may not reconfigure all their systems. This could easily be the kind of thing that falls through the cracks and remains configured as is after systems are merged.

According to a Google search, they do.

12. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    I am thinking a lot of the small disjointed markets will get split up and sold.

For example in Alabama, Time Warner has a few systems in smaller towns that are not part of one of their "regions". Also, Comcast has a few smaller systems as well. Charter is the dominant cable company in the big cities in Alabama so I would expect Charter to try to pick off those types of systems.

Areas where TWC has a huge presence I don't see getting split up.

13. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Comcast just totally pwned Charter. I can't help but wonder how it feels for Charter to be on the receiving end for a change.

14. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  15. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Unlikely much hardware at the local level will change would be my guess. It's expensive to do those kinds of upgrades.

16. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    Yeah, it's not like "oh, Comcast does it this way, they'll automatically change what TWC does when they take over".

TWC basically owns all the systems around here, and Comcast basically owns Western PA. The new combined company would have a footprint stretching from just outside Toledo to past Altoona, with very few gaps.

17. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    As far as heat from Washington goes, here's the key.

The Comcast/NBCUniversal deal took what, about 2 years and change to clear? Comcast got all kinds of government flack. I can't imagine this would be any easier, and the various government agencies will extract whatever concessions they can get.

18. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Yes, like cushy private-sector jobs for the folks on the government side six months after the deal closes.

19. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Comcast owns South Western PA, but I wouldn't say Western PA. Comcast has Pittsburgh and everything south of it. Starting at the nothern fringes of Pittsburgh suburbs, Armstrong Cable takes over and they service most of the western PA area between north Pittsburgh and the Erie metro area. TWC serves Erie.

20. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    As long as it doesn't reduce choice for consumers I really don't care, who is really at risk with a large combined Comcast/TWC are the content producers and various smaller cable channels. The combined company would have something north of 30 million subs giving Comcast the ability to destroy some smaller cable channels financially if they dropped them.

In any event lots of NY state is TWC, I am about 3/4 mile past the end of their line and would love the FCC to mandate extending coverage as part of the deal (don't care about cable one way or the other but would really love access to their high speed Internet). Might force Frontier DSL to upgrade their back-end equipment so they could actually maintain their DSL speeds during the afternoon/evening, in my area speeds drop from a solid 6Mbps in the morning to 1-1.5Mbps in the evening, which pretty much makes streaming useless.