1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast, TiVo Working On Non-CableCARD Approach

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by consumedsoul, Jul 15, 2014.

1. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
  2. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    From an article linked to the one you posted:

Welcome words to see in a recent/current article...

However, given the way the first VOD "agreement", still in TiVo's press-release archives, fell-apart with so much finger pointing between Cox & TiVo as to which party dropped the ball, I've learned my lesson about getting my hopes up...

Thanks for the heads-up!

3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Sounds great unless it becomes another one-off downloadable security solution, a la the disastrous FCC decision to let Charter roll their own. The good thing about this is that Comcast is a leader and if they come up with something decent and are willing to let others have it, it could solve the whole Cablecard successor question.

But then again, this is Comcast we're talking about. And this thread really belongs in the Coffee House forum here.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    "Video On Demand" has traditionally referred to on-demand content delivered over a regular cable channel to a regular cable tuner. Are they talking about using an IP connection only to set up such a feed, or are they going to just deliver IP streaming video and call it VOD?

5. kdemas

kdemas New Member

Jul 16, 2014
    The Comcast announcement is certainly good news!

6. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Sounds like the inevitable future of TV moving to a more VOD style as opposed to the current broadcast method with VOD tacked on.

Something that major is probably a decade or more away but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see it happen. This potentially gives much more control back to the companies on advertising and reduces hardware / support costs substantially.

7. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    VOD now = no skip or FF. No capability to transfer programs to pc.

All TiVos - the future = the same?

8. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    This is exactly why I didn't care about losing access to Time Warner Cable's VOD when I switched to TiVo from their crappy DVR. If I have to sit through commercials to watch VOD, then it is completely worthless to me.

9. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    TiVo and Comcast have agreed to collaborate on a two-way, non-CableCARD security platform that would enable TiVo boxes bought at retail to access Comcast’s full lineup of linear programming as well as the MSO’s video-on-demand service. TiVo and Comcast [...] didn’t go into explicit technical detail on how the non-CableCARD approach would work, though it's possible that the intended approach would use a downloadable version of video security.

But they did note that Comcast will make the solution available to other cable operators “on commercially reasonable terms.” - See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv...ablecard-approach/375989#sthash.r9pKiTry.dpuf

TiVo's involvement means a non-CableCARD solution is being worked on today and not years from now when the cable industry got around to it. And it makes sure that the solution works with retail TiVo's but also is available for license by ALL cable operators - both large and small.

And the solution will no doubt work with Satellite operators.

10. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    This announcement is like having a meeting to plan a meeting.

Also seems like we already had that feeling things were moving this direction. There are cheaper ways to do security than cablecard.

11. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Well isn't that just dandy. Instead of a single, industry-wide standard, we get a proprietary Comcast standard that "Comcast will make available to other cable operators 'on commercially reasonable terms.'" Whatever the hell that means. And of course other cable (and satellite) operators will be under no obligation to adopt the new "Comcast standard". Nor will they be deterred from coming up with their own, incompatible proprietary standards. Forgive me if I seem less than hopeful about this news.

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Also if TiVo has to change the hardware, that means a new box to replace the Roamio, that a bummer. But could a downloadable security go into a special board that fits into the existing cable card slot in the TiVo (Roamio), that would have great value IMHO.
    Another problem for TiVo customers, is that the used market for Cable card TiVos would go down the drain if the cable card slot could no longer be used.

13. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Particularly for the Roamio Plus and Pro, since they can't even do OTA. They would essentially become worthless as soon as the CableCard standard is defunct, unless there were some sort of way to retrofit them to accept downloadable security rather than a CableCard. Perhaps there could be some kind of gateway device that could accept the new downloadable security and could then interface with the old TiVos through the CableCard slot or maybe the USB port.

14. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Why is everyone is assuming that Comcast implementing this new "downloadable" security tech will all of a sudden make CableCards defunct? Those will continue to work for the foreseeable future and there's nothing that has been announced yet that indicates that the software solution couldn't work on older TiVo's.

It can be a pure software solution, which would work on all TiVos, or it could be a combination software/hardware solution, in which case CableCards will continue to be supported.

15. humbb

humbb Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    I know we can't always trust what Comcast says, but the article did quote them:
    “Comcast will ensure that all CableCARD-enabled devices will continue to have access to all linear channels in all Comcast markets,” they added.

I was wondering if that meant that our current Tivo VOD capabilities might not be continued in the new structure.

16. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I have no idea. It said the same way as Contour, which their newest whole-home DVR system, that seems mostly useless without owning at least one iPad (which they don't exactly point out as what everybody in the commercials is using to make all the things happen). I did a poll of people I know who don't have tablets, and they all thought that the device in the commercials (iPad) was part of what the package provided. For their Contour system to be as wonderful as they make it out to be, every person would need an iPad, or everybody would have to learn how to share an iPad (yeah, right)...

Short answer: Even if I asked Cox what the deal is, or will be, I have learned not to believe them. Even the Contour printed materials are hard to fully understand (and even Cox reps agree on that). I still don't fully understand the Contour system, after trying to understand it, every which way...

Additional comments: Any device/system that revolves around owning an iProduct, is one I'll never want, nor be convinced to get an iProduct to use.

17. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I 100% agree with that! I've already put it in the "filter it out as noise, until proof it is happening is provided" column.

There are also some valid points made since my initial positive response, that have me thinking "blessing or curse?".

Actually, I'm already far more in the negative as to what might come out of this. But, I'll leave the speculation, and arguments about the speculation, to everybody else. I will speculate that this is about to become "one of those threads...".

18. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Yes. If the VOD feed contains commercials and it can't be recorded by the TiVo to skip them later, that would be an absolute deal killer for me.

19. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Only it wasn't an announcement it was an FCC filing.

CableCards are in every cable box Comcast ships which costs them money. And it's this reason why a de facto standard is needed and will be gladly acceptable by cable operators. Who better than the #1 cable provider and the #1 DVR vendor to work on a standard?

And as for the proprietary nonsense most standards are proprietary and then licensed. Look at DVD and BluRay standards. You need to pay a small licensing fee to implement.

"TiVo and Comcast, which disclosed the agreement in an FCC filing dated July 14"- See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv...approach/375989#sthash.r9pKiTry.Mcfvprjd.dpuf

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wrong, false.

While this is USUALLY (virtually always) true for the "broadcast" networks, premium channels DO let you FF (and yes, it irks me that even HBO on Demand has a few minutes of crap before the movie that I have to FF through).. ALSO, basic cable channels usually let you FF through.

ALSO II, both network _and_ basic cable shows often end up with VERY low commercial (sometimes _none_) versions after several days to a week..

Is it AS good as recording on Tivo? No, but as someone who hates commercials, I still use On Demand more often than I thought I would... esp for the 'low/no/ffable' versions.