1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

comcast, stream and copy protection

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by moorashj, Sep 11, 2012.

1. moorashj

moorashj New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Greetings all,
    Just wondering if comcast users are running into a lot of issues with copy protection. My plan for the stream is to download to ipad but I keep on hearing that many shows are copy protected. Dont want to purchase if this is the case.
    Just looking for feedback and experiences
    Thanks

2. macery

macery New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    The easiest way to know what content on your TiVos would be subject to the CCI flag is with TiVoDesktop (or kmttg, etc). Those programs are usually really good at showing you which recordings on your TiVos the Cable Cos flag as not being able to "Copy"/"Download" to your PC or more importantly for your question to an iPad.

With the Stream you can still watch the flagged recordings on your iDevice, you just cannot have a copy saved to the device to be watched outside the range of your home WiFi connection.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yep just download and install TiVo Desktop on your PC then click the Pick Recordings To Transfer button. Anything it lists with a red slash icon will not be able to be transferred to the iPad either. However you can stream everything. (except Amazon download)

Dan

4. moorashj

moorashj New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    do you guys still see value in this if many shows are copy protected?

5. macery

macery New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    eh, diminished value. It does fill a need for me now having a TiVo (or close to current TV) in my home office, I can now watch TiVo recordings and work. Was it worth the $130, maybe not immediately but I'm not complaining and who know what future S/W updates may bring.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It does exactly what I bought it for. My main purpose was streaming. My wife wont let me put a TV in the bed room because it bothers her, but she's OK with me watching the iPad on my night stand. The Stream lets me watch real TV in bed rather then podcasts.

Dan

7. tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    that's a great story. :D

8. csgraber

csgraber New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    You can stream everything (even HBo). I for one haven't had the chance/ability to try transferring the shows so far. Its a pain in the ass since it takes a while AND you have to leave the app on.

yet i still love the stream overall. Its far better than any cable company app and I have full access to shows. The only negative is it can't use the live-tv buffer. . .you have to record + delete. Which is annoying.

I do have comcast in Denver, and most shows I could download to my Desktop when I wanted

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't.

When I watch TV on a mobile device, it's because I'm not at home in front of the TV.
    Find a way to seamlessly stream outside of the home network? Mucho valor agregado! :D

10. franzey

franzey New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Dayton, OH
    Is there any reason why Tivo decided NOT to modify the icons to show you what can be downloaded in the app? There is no way to tell if something can be streamed until you try to download it. Checking on another device seems counter intuitive to me.

11. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Everything can be streamed. Not everything can be downloaded. You seem to have mixed the two in your question (which, I cannot answer).

12. franzey

franzey New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Dayton, OH
    It was a mistype. I understand everything can be streamed but there is zero indication of what can be downloaded.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That'll be fixed soon. For some reason graying out the Download button requires an update on the TiVo itself.

Dan

14. franzey

franzey New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Dayton, OH
    Good information to have. I figured it was going to happen, I was just surprised that it wasn't something that was already done before starting selling the Stream which only has two features (easy download and easy streaming). Streaming works wonderfully. Of course the real problem is the cable providers blocking the download of nearly 100% of the content available. I am curious how they were able to download the content they did in the demo video.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Depends on the cable company. Mine only blocks the premium channels, everything else can be downloaded.

Dan

16. franzey

franzey New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Dayton, OH
    I am extremely envious of that. I'm on Time Warner and be all accounts seem to have no love lost with them since nearly all shows are protected (including those reruns of shows from over 15 years ago).

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah TW sets the copy protection flag on everything except the local channels. Only reason they don't on locals is because the law prevents them from doing it. Everything else they're allowed to "protect" so they do.

Dan

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But supposedly this is done by some cable companies even though the cable *networks* don't want it to be done (in some cases).

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TW is one of them. They block everything no matter what. I think some Comcast markets do as well. Most others only block the stations they have.

Dan

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But I forgot to mention that at least anecdotally, there have been people who have posted on tivocommunity that they were able to get their local cable company (their local branch of it or whatever you want to call it) to un-block stuff.