1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast refusing to support TiVo with cable cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jbkendrick, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1 of 118
    jbkendrick

jbkendrick New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I have spent the last week trying to get a multistream card for my new TiVo HD XL. After several hours on the phone with Comcast call takers and supervisors, and waiting around at home for techs to show up for the last two days, and each time the tech shows up with single stream cards that don't work, I am getting quite frustrated.

Comcast, even their supervisors, are playing dumb acting like they don't know what a multstream card is, and only agreeing to send a tech out after I site the FCC regulation. The techs say when they arrive that they can't get the cards, and the single stream cards they have in stock are mostly damaged. They also state that there is nothing on the work order that indicates a multistream is needed, even though the supervisors say they put it in the order.

I'm about ready to return my TiVo and cancel service, and would warn others not to go with TiVo as it seems the major carriers are refusing to support it.

Any help that can be offered would be appreciated. I would like to get my TiVo working if possible. John

2. Jan 3, 2009 #2 of 118
    convergent

convergent Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    They can install two SCards in your Tivo and it should work exactly the same as one MCard. If they don't want to install an MCard, then I'd go with the SCards if they have them available.

3. Jan 3, 2009 #3 of 118
    lacsap

lacsap New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Comcast supports cablecards in new england - and mcards at that ... Had no problem with installation, nor did my friends. So, maybe one should consider getting Tivo ...

4. Jan 3, 2009 #4 of 118
    TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    OMG that's too funny!

DON'T BUY A TIVO! (but can you pretty please help me with mine?)

5. Jan 3, 2009 #5 of 118
    bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    Comcast supports cablecards in New Jersey.

6. Jan 3, 2009 #6 of 118
    westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    O-key. Nice touch with the bold. :rolleyes: Are we supposed to all start going "Oh my gosh! John's going to leave Tivo! It's the end of the world!" :p

Comcast in western Washington state supports Tivo just fine. They even let me self-install the M-Card. I just had to go to their office to pick it up.

7. Jan 3, 2009 #7 of 118
    Ceciliachavez75

Ceciliachavez75 Tivo kitten

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    I live in the bay area and all i had to do was go to an actual comcast place and ask for the card. They gave us an Mcard. The comcast CS people that you get when you call are usually horrible, i mean its as if they know nothing about the service they are hired to provide.

8. Jan 3, 2009 #8 of 118
    Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    And in the Seattle area

9. Jan 3, 2009 #9 of 118
    pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I watched as the CSR entered an order for an M-Card to be installed into my TiVo next weekend. I'll let them install two S-Cards only if they don't assess the charge for a second CableCard .

10. Jan 3, 2009 #10 of 118
    Ceciliachavez75

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    We installed our own Mcard, and i think if we were able to do it, ANYONE can do it :)

11. Jan 3, 2009 #11 of 118
    maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Comcast in Chattanooga was reasonably helpful in getting mine setup, first one took a little work, but the 2nd one was a breeze. All picked up from the local office.

12. Jan 3, 2009 #12 of 118
    pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I tried, the CSR said they didn't have cards in the office - only the techs have cards.

13. Jan 3, 2009 #13 of 118
    Ceciliachavez75

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    Wierd, maybe it depends on where you live.

14. Jan 3, 2009 #14 of 118
    richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I think you're just confused a bit so don't panic. Some cableco's do not have "M" (multi-stream) cable cards yet. TiVo HD's and HDXL's will work with "M" or "S" (single stream) cable cards. If they don't have "M" cable cards all you need are two "S" cable cards. You can argue w/them about paying for a 2nd card or not. (Our 2nd card from Comcast is $1.50/mo.)

If the cards they tried don't work there's a good possibility that the cards they tried simply didn't work. There are plenty of posts here, on the AVS Forum and elsewhere about techs having to go through a half-dozen or more cable cards before they found one's that worked. (Makes me guess that they just take the ones that didn't back and toss them in the pile for some other poor tech to try. :rolleyes:)

It's also a rare possibility that your TiVo has a problem. Rare but not unheard of. If electronics fail it's usually right away. In that case you can get a brand new box from TiVo if you're in the 30 day full replacement warranty (otherwise $49 in the first year). Or just take it back to the retailer where you bought it for an exchange.

So you just need to work with Comcast (in a less combative way?) and/or TiVo to get things ironed out. Tens of thousands of people are enjoying TiVo (w/cable cards) provided by Comcast and all of the major and minor cable companies.

15. Jan 3, 2009 #15 of 118
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    upset people say the darnedest things. :p

16. Jan 3, 2009 #16 of 118
    jbkendrick

jbkendrick New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks, that was helpful. Fortunately, TiVo cares about its customers even if you don't. They agreed to 3-way into Comcast with me to explain what was needed. They understood that the cable companies are resistant and when they identified themselves, everything changed on the part of the Comcast call taker. For the first time in a week of calls, they knew what a cable card was, and even knew the difference between single and multistream. Imagine that. Perhaps a 3-way call with the cable company should be step #1 on the setup guide if cards are needed, or at least included as a recommendation. It would sure alleviate much wasted time and frustration.

What you apparently don't understand is that after putting out $600 on a TiVo box and agreeing to a one-year commitment, people need this to work rather quickly in order to not lose the short 30-day return privilege. I'm just glad you're not working for TiVo. I'm sure Comcast would hire you though.

17. Jan 3, 2009 #17 of 118
    bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Here's an underhanded approach that will work, but personally I wouldn't recommend.

When you put in the order, order a Comcast DVR. Then somehow swap the Multistream CableCARD from the Comcast DVR with the single stream -- maybe let the installer install them both. Then wait a week and return the DVR. It'll take them some time to figure out what has happened and by then you won't care because you'll have your M-card.

18. Jan 3, 2009 #18 of 118
    jbkendrick

jbkendrick New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks for the courteous replies. I am trying to get this to work, but just didn't expect to be taking two days waiting for techs to arrive and several hours on the phone for something so simple.

Comcast in the Maryland area will not allow you to install the cards on your own - that was my first request. And yes, they know the cards are in bad shape. The guy that showed up today told me it most likely was broken but its all they had so he tried.

I will update this thread with more information when the situation is resolved one way or another. And I apologize to those that feel my post was too harsh. John

19. Jan 3, 2009 #19 of 118
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well I just saw your post in another thread in which TWC was actually trying to improve their service for Tivo customers by finally using M-cards.

Yet all you wanted to do was ***** some more about your Comcast experience and then bold out again for everyone not to buy a TiVo. You are aware this is a forum with people who use and like Tivo DVRs, have shelled out their own money for same and dealt with hassles of their own, and are now seeing you as basically being a jerk about the whole thing and being unhelpful as all get out in your very posts asking for others to help you. Lighten up the attitude and you will get a lot further, both here and with Comcast.

20. Jan 3, 2009 #20 of 118
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Go to: http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/customercare.html

Click on the link at the bottom: Send an e-mail to Rick Germano.

Describe your situation and what you've gone through. He will see that your problem gets taken care of quickly.