1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast on-demand up updated...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lgnad, Nov 24, 2013.

1. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Browsing on the Tivo last night, in the Xfinity on-demand, found they have updated it with the functionality for "buying" movies.

The prices range all the way up to $22... for Curse of Chucky of all things, most HD movies are in the high teens $. SD is about $5 less. There's a couple of "weeks before dvd' titles Fast & Furious 6, Red 2, and a grand total of seven! tv shows that are $3 an episode (HD)

Anyway, Im not so sure its a good idea "buying" movies on there, since if you ever change providers, move to the many areas where the TIVO on-demand app isnt supported/activated/whatever or if they someday decided to kill the tivo on-demand functionality, we'd have no way to play these movies.

2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm pretty sure it's not tied to your TiVo account, it's tied to your Comcast account. This functionality was announced for all Comcast VOD customers a few weeks ago.

3. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Oh, I know... but im saying it kinda seems like a bad idea to buy.. if you buy a digital copy movie from Amazon, or any of the other many choices you can access the movie "forever"(ish).

If you change providers, cut the cord, or move and Comcast doesn't service that area, or if you've only got tivo boxes and you move to an area that the on-demand isnt active or if someday tivo no longer offers the on-demand functionality for whatever reason, you're screwed.

Their IOS app just got a major overhaul to add live streaming a bunch of channels. No functionality on there (at this time) to rent or buy on-demand.

All that said, I sometimes wonder if anyone is buying digital access to movies, really. I know its hard for me to conceive of spending as much as they are asking for buying access to streaming, not even getting a digital copy. It would be interesting to see sales numbers on this.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've bought quite a few movies through VUDU. I'd never do it through a cable company because as you pointed out you'd have to stay a customer of that cable company for life to retain access to your movies.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Do you? Could you watch the movies via an Xbox (or a mobile device) without an active Comcast account?

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't know. I thought this was part of VOD.

7. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Wow. That could get bad. Suppose you've purchased 50 movies and then you decided to move to Dish or something. I hope Comcast is going to continue to allow you access to the movies that you own. It sounds like the Zune all over again.