1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast now has online DVR management - why can't TiVo do this?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by morac, Aug 11, 2009.

1. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Comcast now has online DVR scheduling and management. It doesn't look like it's for the Comcast TiVo service though.

The thing that caught my eye is the ability to modify existing recording and series recordings (their version of season passes) by just selecting the recording on the web site and changing it. It can also order the series recordings online. Finally, the user can specify the default DVR to record on.

It would be nice if TiVo could add this functionality, especially the online "season pass" management and recording modification. TiVo already has the To Do list online so the information is there, they would just need to integrate it with their scheduling code.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Moxi added this capability last spring. DirecTV and Dish Network both plan to add this capability in the near future. Before long, TiVo may be the only one without it...why?

TiVo pioneered remote scheduling on a DVR. Had you told me three years ago that TiVo would lag behind 80% of all DVRs in remote scheduling, I'd not have believed it. But that's the direction we're headed.

I would also like to see the ability to edit the channel list / favorites online. That's another feature Moxi added last spring.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    and don't get me started on iphone/blackberry mobile scheduling, I'm stunned at how damn difficult it is with Tivo. It's great if it's a single show that you know the name of that's on once, but heaven forbid you know the time and channel, there's no way to do it.

My example? Saturday NASCAR races, if I decide at the last minute to record via iphone, I know it's ESPN or ESPN2 at this point in the season, but keyword "NASCAR" doesn't find it, and I can't search by time and channel (bangs head on desk) they so much need a mobile app that works.

Diane

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If Tivo does add something along these lines they should also allow removing and re-ordering season passes as well as removing shows from NPL.

5. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Go to iPhone, open Safari. Go to url: tv.yahoo.com.
    Click on the TV Listings button.
    This way you can easily browse the TV guide chart by time, date, and channel.
    Click on Nascar.
    Click on "Record to TiVo" button. Then click on the "Record this episode" button.
    Voila!

However, you shouldn't have to do all this through yahoo. There should be a TiVo app by now.

6. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I'd give my left nut (not really) for coordinated recording. Too many times I ask for a program to record and both tuners are busy. Why can't Tivo poll my other Tivo and see what is has to do at the same time?

I have spent a lot of time managing SP's putting network SP's ahead of cable SP's because of cable's ability to replay a show instead of showing infomercials.

If Tivo could just ask me if I'd like to record a show on my other Tivo instead of me having to look for another showing it would be nirvana.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I definitely agree. You have to wonder what Tivo is thinking sometimes or if they are thinking at all. The sad thing is these are the types of things that would sell Tivos imho.

Don't get me wrong I like being able to record HD but if things like remote management of season pass manager and cooperative scheduling had been introduced I would have come back sooner. On top of it I would have a reason to tell my family and friends to make the switch back from Directivo since as of right now they don't have a reason since they don't need to record HD, have Netflix accounts, care about streaming content, or any of the extra features Tivo currently offers. They just want something to record tv and record as many of the shows they want as possible without having to babysit it.

8. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I agree that it's kind of surprising that TiVo has lagged so much in this area. Interestingly it seems like privacy may be part of the reason. Are any of these other places requiring a special opt-in just to get the scheduling information to their servers?

It seems like TiVo has been much more under the microscope for privacy concerns than these other companies and it's been a bit of an albatross for progress in some cases.

9. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah I have always heard privacy was the reason behind this. This could easily be solved by allowing users to opt-in and personally I would have no problems. Then again I would rather TV networks know what I watch and don't watch.

My whole thing though is Tivo Desktop should be a work around for the privacy issue and it is surprising they haven't done something where you can even just manage them on your local machine through Tivo Desktop. Tivo Desktop should really add features like season pass management, cooperative scheduling, better conflict management, and scheduling recordings.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Hopefully, the recent online scheduling website that Tivo activated is just the first step.
    They had to get the base operation going with people using it to work out the major bugs.
    Once things are going smoothly, they can add functionality.
    One can only hope.

11. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Hey folks,

Please check out http://m.tivo.com/ from your mobile phone -- it was very easy for me to search for Nascar, hit View Upcoming and then hit Next to see Saturday's races (it was on page 2 for me -- lot of Nascar tomorrow).

Also, if you have an iPhone, please check out i.TV -- http://www.i.tv/about/ -- it's similarly very easy to schedule Nascar recordings.

Finally, just wanted to make sure folks are aware that Series3/TiVo HD owners can view their To Do list and Season Passes from http://www.tivo.com/tco

Best regards,
    Stephen

12. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks for chiming in. I actually mentioned that in the original post, though it was kind of hidden in the second paragraph.

Also technically you can't see your SP online, just the To Do list and Now Playing list.

13. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I didn't think you could and kept looking for them though. I must admit I do use the new site for setting recordings, but wish they had options like setting all Tivos or select Tivos at the same time. I usually put the same season passes on both Tivos just in different order and it would be nice if you could select all Tivos as an option instead of just specific ones.

14. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Good tips both!
    However I will say that at least twice in the past 6 months on a Saturday morning on the road, I've looked for the afternoon Nationwide race and used the keyword "NASCAR" with m.tivo.com and gotten the countdown show, the NASCAR NOW reshowings, old races on ESPN Classics, but not that day's race, very frustrating. It's always a last minute thing, and I know the right keyword doesn't find the actual race. (happened August 1st in fact)

I will look into the Yahoo! approach however.

Diane

15. MitchW

MitchW New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    ATT Uverse also offers online DVR management of recordings, searches and series details.

16. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I would really like to see the equivalent of TWP for SA Tivos. Something that Tivo would build into the OS... now that would be cool.

17. reneg

reneg Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NASCAR Wishlist settings:

Keyword: (Sprint Cup) (Nationwide) (Camping World Truck) -practice -qualifying
    Title Keyword: NASCAR Racing
    Category: HD
    Wishlist Name: NASCAR

Recording options:
    Show Type: First-run Only
    Stop Recording: 1 hour longer

Back to the topic at hand. Simply put, the Tivo web site should allow us to do everything that we can do in front of the Tivo with the Tivo remote.

Plus, the Tivo website should back up our season passes, Wishlists and other configuration parameters and allow us to push them back down to the same or another Tivo.

18. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Or share SPs & WLs with friends!

19. TriBruin

TriBruin Active Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Tivos' SPs are being backed up. If you change the drive in your Tivo, they will come back.

IIRC, it was a result of the new features that Tivo added a few years ago (KidZone?). It was more of an undocumented feature as it only applied if you changed the HDD in your Tivo.

20. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    That's a cool feature. Except that both my HD Tivos show NOTHING in the To Do List and both have Now Playing from July. But hey, sometimes I want to know what items USED TO BE on my Tivo a few weeks ago. ;)