1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Multi-Stream CableCard?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DiscoBayJoe, Sep 19, 2006.

1. DiscoBayJoe

DiscoBayJoe New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Has anyone had a successfull Multi-Stream card install with Comcast?

The bad news is that my S3 didn't arrive today (ordered 9/12 w/2Day). UPS shows it as set for 2-day as-ordered (not the 1-day uplift as indicated in other threads) with it hitting their TX Hub at 9PM Friday. This should mean delivery tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunatly this also meant I had to bump (for the 2nd time) my AM Comcast appointment out from Tomorrow AM until Friday.

The potential good news is that while I was on with Comcast he said that I should be getting a Multi-Stream card and would only need one in the Tivo S3. He was the first person at Comcast I had talked to who seemed to have any clue about CableCards. He modified my order to a single card.

Am I going to be really bummed out on Friday with a single-stream card?

I am in the SF/East Bay Area Market.

2. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yours is the first post I've heard where an installer claims to have an M-stream card available.

Keep us posted.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I would be surprised if they have Multistream cards, as I've been told repeatedly they won't ship out in quantity until October. Perhaps they have a few and they are giving you one...

Keep us informed.

4. gostan

gostan Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Boston
    I hope that you are not bumed out on Friday. I would not count on a multi-stream cablecard at all.

Stan

5. gwsat

gwsat New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    If what I have read in other threads is correct, a Multi-Stream card won't do you any good. I understand that current CableCARD slots will only provide one way communication even with a Multi-Stream card and the S3s are equipped with one way slots.

6. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    The one-way slot means you can't do PPV or VOD. But a multi-stream card would allow you to get 2 streams with one card.

7. mikebridge

mikebridge New Member

Sep 18, 2000
    Plainfield, IL
    technically up to 5 streams with 1 multistream card, IIRC, but the tivo will only deal with 2 of those streams.

8. amjustice

amjustice FINALY HD w/Series3

Mar 9, 2006
    Montgomery, IL
    I bet the Series 3 is a very big motivator to get Multi-Stream cards out there for the Cable Cos, it will probably cut down on costs for them as far as having double the amount of single stream cards in some users Tivos.

9. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    Why would that cut down their costs? They would probably much rather charge you for two cards versus one.

I don't understand your logic.

10. amjustice

Mar 9, 2006
    Montgomery, IL
    Comcast isnt charging for a second card, since their cards are free and the only charge they could do is a second "outlet" which myself and others have convinced them since its only one device, only one outlet, so I am getting 2 cards for free, hense 1 would cost them less. The only thing that doesnt figure in here is the cost of the Multi stream cards vs the old ones, if the old ones were signifigantly cheaper then it still might cost less to give someone 2 cards

11. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I convinced Comcast to not charge me a second outlet fee since they are both going into a single DVR (exact same situation as their 6412)

12. gwsat

gwsat New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    Video OnDemand is not available on the S3, even with a Multi-Stream card. But I understand that pay per view programming that is to be shown outside the OnDemand service is available. You can’t order pay per view programming with the press of a button as you can if you have a digital cable box but you can order it with a phone call.

13. amjustice

Mar 9, 2006
    Montgomery, IL
    I really don't think that is a big deal, we are just keeping our cable box for an extra $5 a month (Comcast). My wife likes to view various shows and movies on-demand so that was a bargaing chip in getting a Series 3.

14. DiscoBayJoe

DiscoBayJoe New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Comcast had previously told me it was going to be $5/mo for the 2nd card, $0/mo for the first. Shaving the 2nd card will pay for 1/2 of Howard if it works as promised.

My goal is to have the S3 and a Comcast STB installed in a single A/V closet as a single outlet. In that A/V Closet I have equipment to send it to my primary TV in HD/THX and to 6 other TV's with a ChannelPlus Modulator/IR-Repeater system.

If all works, I will be able to shave about $80/mo by ditching D* (Video) / SBC (Voice) , and using ComCast Triple Play and Tivo S3. I'll only have HD to one TV, but that's fine.

BTW: The Comcast Digital voice has been great sofar.

15. amjustice

Mar 9, 2006
    Montgomery, IL
    Thats good, I am thinking we will go with SunRocket for VoIP once we move into our new house later this year, I think it is a little cheaper.

16. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The Comcast FAQ says you can have a cable box for free if your primary outlet device uses cable cards. Something about giving the customer the convenience to use VOD and PPV. :)

17. nhey

nhey New Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Where's the source of this? I don't think it's true.

18. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Oh, and a convenient way to spend more money! Really though, this is good because there are some times that it would be nice to access a VOD. Where did you see that?

19. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    From the Comcast FAQ:

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?ID=2654

(See the bolded text below)

"If I can't get the same services with a CableCARD as I get with a digital cable box, why am I being charged the same price?

Your digital cable-ready TV can receive all of the Digital Cable services you currently enjoy which are included in your monthly subscription fee; however certain features will require a Digital Cable box. In most areas Comcast will provide you with a Digital Cable box at no additional charge for your primary cable outlet. Please call 1-800-COMCAST for details. "

20. Omnius

Omnius New Member

May 30, 2006
    I think a lot of people might be mis-interpreting that FAQ. I think they mean that they offer the first STB free with any digital package, so there's no need to get a cable card if you're wanting to save money because you can get one STB for no additional charge. Thats how I read it anyways, you can either have a STB or a cable card for free, and of course they want you to get the STB instead.