1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast knows it has Cablecard problems but isn't fixing them.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Unhappyeger, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Jul 9, 2014 #1 of 19
    Unhappyeger

Unhappyeger New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Bought a new Roamio Plus about two weeks ago, and I went to Comcast and obtained a Cisco Cablecard. After installing everything, I had numerous intermittent problems, including error messages and messages indicating that I did not subscribe to certain channels. I then wasted a lot of time on the phone with Comcast. Fortunately, I found a Comcast forum that perfectly described my problem as a firmware issue

If you log onto that forum and complain, then somebody named "ComcastTeds" will update your firmware to version 1.5.3.1101 and all of your problems will disappear.

Basically, Comcast has known about these firmware problems for two years. They could have fixed them and saved everybody a lot of grief. But, they didn't fix their defective CableCards, because they want to discourage people from using Tivo.

Here is the link: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Cisco-Firmware-1-5-3-1101/td-p/1967519

Good luck!

2. Jul 9, 2014 #2 of 19
    grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I feel your pain. I have been on a Cisco card ever since the Roamios came out and, just within the last couple of weeks, finally got my card firmware updated. Before I was updated, I found that stepping down to 5 tuners eliminated all the error codes and problems. Look at post #40 in this thread to give you instructions on how to step down Stepdown to fewer tuners

When my Cisco cablecard was updated to 1.5.3.1201, I was able to step back up to 6 tuners without a hiccup. Hope this helps

3. Jul 9, 2014 #3 of 19
    Unhappyeger

Unhappyeger New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Amazing that you were able to get to 1201. I was only able to get to 1101, but it solved my problem.

I posted this thread, because I was hoping that the link to the Comcast thread would help people with a similar problem. If people go to the end of that Comcast thread and request a firmware upgrade, then they will get upgraded to 1101, which seems to solve almost all problems. Here is the link

4. Jul 9, 2014 #4 of 19
    grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I had not had any contact with Comcast for months, then suddenly one night my Cisco firmware got updated. Totally random and I'm sure it was on Comcast's timeline for the updates. As I understand it, Comcast is now using cablecards for their own upper end boxes and that's probably why they finally upgraded the cards

5. Jul 9, 2014 #5 of 19
    lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Comcast has no incentive to do better with cablecards. They have to provide them because of the law. They are working to get that law changed. In the meanwhile, they provide the absolute bare minimum of support to meet the letter of the law.

As far as they are concerned, they want you to get frustrated and use their hardware. its cheaper for them to support.

6. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
  7. Unhappyeger

Unhappyeger New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Here is what I am trying to say.

If you post a message on this Comcast board, then Comcast will upgrade your Cisco cable card to the latest firmware. Finally!!!

Good luck!

8. c_tripps_2k

c_tripps_2k Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Too little too late. They have punished way too many of their customers far too long. They are the most hated company in this country for good reason. They are nothing but a giant POS. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

9. Unhappyeger

Unhappyeger New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I agree with your comments about Comcast, but I wanted people to know on this forum that there is a way to get their firmware FINALLY updgraded.

I am pretty unhappy that I wasted so much time before I found that forum, and I wanted to try to help a few others. Here is the link again.

10. danak

danak New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    I asked for an upgrade in the forum last night and my cablecard was upgraded to 1101 when I got home today. It works. This guy is doing a great job. From the sound of it, Comcast Customer Service needs to do a far better job informing its people in order to better help Tivo customers. People have posted horror stories in this forum and in that thread on going through customer service hell to try to get their cablecard upgraded.

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    They seem to be pushing PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1201 out to several markets, probably due to the XOD rollouts. I had to email support to get 1101 several months ago, but 1201 appeared on its own earlier this week.

I'm in Houston, but there have been similar mass rollouts in Florida and a few other places.

12. Unhappyeger

Unhappyeger New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Incredibly, Comcast is still upgrading the firmware on these cards, one-by-one. So, if you have aCisco (Scientific Atlanta) card, the best approach is to make a request on this link.

13. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Like everyone else, I stumbled upon the xfinity forum and requested the updated firmware. Within 3 days i received the update, and now all 6 tuners work flawlessly

14. Torino

Torino New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    VA
    How can you find out what cable card firmware you have?

15. CheriePie

CheriePie New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Silicon...
    Go into the diagnostics for the Cable Card under settings on your TiVo.

On my TiVo HD (series 3) there's a known problem with it hanging during diagnostics. It only seems to work right right after a restart. So I ended up having to pull the power plug and then I tried again right after it rebooted and got in fine.

That said, I've got the Motorola M-Card in my existing TiVo, not the Cisco. I just upgraded to a Roamio today which should be here next week, and I was under the impression I'd just be able to move my existing CableCard over from my old Tivo to the new one. My Motorola card does have the 06.25 firmware which I believe is the latest for the that card, but I'm gonna scan thru the Comcast forums and a few more places here to see if anyone has issues using the Motorola card in the Roamio. (feel free to link or direct me if you know anything I don't yet.)

16. CheriePie

CheriePie New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Silicon...
  17. steveliv

steveliv New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    i have a motorola multi-stream that i had been using for about 3 years in a tivo hd. about a month ago i upgraded to a roamio plus and i moved the card from the hd to the plus, called the comcast cablecard line, and had six working tuners immediately. i guess my cards firmware was upgraded at some point.

18. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Out of curiosity, does anyone k ow the latest Motorola firmware, or if it's possible to request a firmware update on a Motorola card to get the most recent firmware?

19. VOLFAN

VOLFAN New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Thanks for this info CheriePie! You probably saved me an hour of research time! :)

Edit: CheriePie - after you upgraded did you have to call to have the new Moto card paired with the Roamio? I'm assuming yes.