1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast HD DVR cost $4.95/month !!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by lessd, Mar 26, 2007.

1. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    My Comcast bill list the Comcast DVR cost as $9.95/month so when I got my Series 3 working great I was going to use a HD Cable box on another HD TV in my home. I thought that I would save $9.95/month by not having the DVR function, not so, its only a savings of $4.95. That means that if you have a HDTV and A HD Cable Box, to upgrade to a HD DVR the cost increase would be only $4.95/month. That is less than I thought. My location is in the Hartford CT area. I mention this because it tells me that TiVo really needs that lower cost HD-DVR that I have been hearing about.

2. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Is that $4.95 for the HD-DVR, or is that $4.95 extra for the DVR vs just a HD cable box? If it's extra, you can't really compare it to the TiVo monthly cost, since you wouldn't need the cable box for the TiVO, and generally the CableCARDs are less expensive than a cable box.

3. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    My cable company charges for the DVR and another fee for DVR service.

4. sfhub

sfhub Active Member

Jan 6, 2007
    In many areas these are the charges:

SD STB = $0
    HD STB = $5
    HD PVR = $11.95 (recently increased from $9.95)
    TiVo S3 = $1.50

There is also a "hidden" $6.99 fee. For the "2nd" equipment they will likely charge you digital additional outlet fee of $6.99 on top of the above fees regardless of which option you choose.

So the Comcast PVR is only $6.95 ($4.95 at the old pricing) if you are considering HD STB upgrade to PVR. If you are considering SD STB upgrade to PVR it is $11.95. In many areas, they also force you to get a digital package so if you don't have that, you have to add an additional $11.95 to the Comcast PVR regardless of whether you want the digital package or not.

5. jeffk

jeffk New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    boca raton, FL
    Before I got the Series 3 I was being charged

8.95 HD STB
    4.95 PVR service

so 14.00 for HD DVR/box

Jeff

6. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Since I have limited basic only, a Comcast DVR would cost me additional $61.13 per month.

7. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You are correct it is $4.95/month to upgrade from a HD cable box to a HD DVR cable box, its tricky because the cable co charges to receive HD, you would have to pay something if you just got the Cable Cards and wanted to watch HD channels using the cable cards.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    UNless you only have one HD box like I have for On Demand. Comcast doesn't charge me for that box. To add an HD DVR though they would charge me $11.95 a month. Which I would like. only so i could get a box with an HDMI output, but it's not worth $11.95 since I rarely use it. If it had the TiVo software for that price I would get it and use it for backup recordings.

9. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    Yea, some of these cable operators are trying to trick people with rates that appear lower than they actually are. For instance, my provider advertises $11.95 for an HD DVR, but they negelect to mention an additional $6.95 service fee attached to it. They also advertise their HD package for $9.95, but there's a $2.95 service fee tied to that. It reality, it's over $30 a month for a HD DVR with HD programming. Another thing they do is advertise their digital packages for about $20 per month less. The price is introductory and goes up after a year, but they negelect to make that obvious. Gotta pay attention with these guys or you could get a big surprise in the mail.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have the DVR Comcast Cable box (Mot) and I only want a box for On-Demand no DVR, I was suprised that I would only save $4.95/month, or put it another way if I had the HD cable box without a DVR, the DVR function would only cost me $4.95/month more.

11. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    All I know is after getting rid of the cable company box my cable bill went down around 19.00 a month.

12. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    cablevision in NJ charges almost 6 dollars for the STB part, and an additional 9.99 for DVR service, so its about 16- plus tax a month for a regular or HD DVR. They don't charge extra for HD which is nice I suppose.

13. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    I love that kind of marketing. "It costs $11.95... if you also pay $6.95 extra". :D

A car dealer here many years ago had an ad in the Sunday paper that cracked me up. I wish I would have saved it. All the listed vehicle prices had a disclaimer in small print: the prices were only valid if you also paid $2000 (or some similar rather large amount, dopn't remember exactly) up front. So a $15k car was advertised as $13k... you just had to pay an additional $2k to get it for $13k.

Maybe the manager there had worked for a cable company before?

14. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Really? Tivo dropped their monthly service for the S3 down to $1.50 per month?

15. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    No, CableCard for the S3.

16. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Oh, then I guess that's not really a fair comparison to say it's only $1.50 for the S3 and $11.95 for the "cable co" DVR then. At least IMO.

17. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Nobody was making that comparison, though. All of this is just what Comcast charges for the various options. The standard Comcast charge is $1.50 for cablecards for an S3 if it's the only box being charged for.

18. artshell

artshell New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    All this seems a lot more complicated than a few years ago
    (&/or I've got a lot older). Back then, I brought home a
    TiVo & a Panasonic (or similar) in that order and liked the
    2nd a lot better - but got refunds on each to avoid "nothing
    but TV". Now I'm just upgrading from Standard Comcast to
    Digital Plus & wondering if my next shd be some kind of TiVo
    or a Comcast DVR (avoiding HD to keep things simple).
    Shd I believe the 11.95 rate for DVR, or is there a "hidden
    cost" - & how compare the result with TiVo, etc.
    (C'cast brought one a while back & were unable to hook it up - but shd've learned a bit since then.)

19. sfhub

sfhub Active Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It was not meant as a comparison of total ownership costs. It was a list of charges you will see from Comcast. There are some hidden fees with the Comcast DVR if you don't already have a digital package. I assume since you own a TiVo you already know about the explicit fees TiVo charges, the unit itself, and the service, whether that be lifetime, MSD, or monthly.

Assuming your area's rate table matches those #s, it is a completely fair comparison of the charges you will see from Comcast if you have a single device.

SD cable box is $0 (included in package)
    HD cable box is $5 ($5 for HD equipment fee upgrade over SD)
    Comcast DVR is $11.95 ($11.95 for DVR service fee)
    TiVo S3 is $1.50 (First CableCARD included in package, 2nd CableCARD $1.50)

If you need a *2nd* device, what they charge is $6.99 Digital Additional Outlet fee + the charges above (again assuming the rate table for your area matches)

20. artshell

artshell New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Re my 4/2, I shd probly start with some kind of TiVo from
    BestBuy, check it out for 29 days (or as long as the free
    svc lasts), and then decide if I shd pay Comcast a "Truck
    Rolling Fee" to bring one of their units out here.
    (Probly better than trying their DVR first, as I wdn't
    be out anything at that point.) Or this may be the wrong
    thread to bring this up. Art Shell