1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast dumps TiVo/Rovi in favor of Gracenote for metadata

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sinanju, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1 of 18
    sinanju

sinanju Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Given the quality of the data lately, can anyone be surprised? TiVo has become a bigger burden to use than VCRs used to be. At least you could rely on a VCR to record when you told it to.

Comcast replaces TiVo/Rovi with Gracenote for metadata | FierceCable

BRiT wtfdotcom likes this.
  2. Jan 6, 2017 #2 of 18
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But couldn't this also be good news, to spur Rovi on to improve its product to assure financial gain (assuming that quality issues were involved in the Comcast decision)?

pre-post edit: The article mentions that Comcast's decision may have been due to ongoing patent litigation filed by earlier TiVo Inc. against Comcast.

BRiT wtfdotcom likes this.
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #3 of 18
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Simple solution... Rovi buys Gracenote and absorbs their better data.

UCLABB, aaronwt, wedenton and 2 others like this.
  4. Jan 6, 2017 #4 of 18
    krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    I now have a weekly reminder/event on my calendar for reviewing and managing the known, recurring Rovi-introduced guide issues. (i.e. Not including the extra time making sure I'm monitoring various forums and information sources for the flash schedule warnings.)

dlfl likes this.
  5. Jan 6, 2017 #5 of 18
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I just read, Nielsen now owns Gracenote. Nielson buys Rovi/TiVo?

6. Jan 6, 2017 #6 of 18
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Then Rovi decides they can make more money by saving costs and cuts all the people who formerly produced reliable guide data.

sar840t2 and Mikeguy like this.
  7. Jan 6, 2017 #7 of 18
    pL86

pL86 Member

Oct 11, 2009
    New York City
    Maybe Tivo can sue itself and reach a settlement to use Gracenote data.

rlcarr, aaronwt, Mikeguy and 6 others like this.
  8. Jan 9, 2017 #8 of 18
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    And then we have another not well managed transition to "new" guide data......

9. Jan 9, 2017 #9 of 18
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The most interesting thing I read in that article is that it took a team of 50 people 18 months to make the switchover. Meanwhile TiVo made the switch-over in under 6 months with a fraction of that amount of people and people wonder why they continue to have problems. Of course with the Rovi data, it's a case of garbage in, garbage out.

rlcarr and Mikeguy like this.
  10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    It seems to me that dealing with the Rovi Guide issue really doesn't require brain science. Just intelligence, involving quality control, thoroughness of entries/descriptions, and likely increased staffing to make it happen.

11. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    Unfortunately attention to detail and rigour is not something most people have.

12. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    It would help a lot if they just disabled cut & paste on the computers the rovi data entry folks are using. Maybe then every description wouldn't start with the same information free run-on sentence about the "thrilling adventure" or "heartwarming romantic comedy" or whichever sentence they cut & paste because they are probably getting paid by the word :). Lately I've even noticed descriptions that include a list of all the actors in the description itself even though there is already completely separate metadata fields for listing actors.

UCLABB, pj1983 and zalusky like this.
  13. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    This is my Rovi beef. You don't get a decent show description because of all that bloviating. Gracenote went straight to the description.

pj1983, sharkster and zalusky like this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Exactly. The descriptions sound like they were just copy & pasted from the press release issued by the movie's/show's PR flack.

zalusky likes this.
  15. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    Wait, are you suggesting that Jack and Jill isn't really an "uproarious comedy"?

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sometimes it's not even the correct movie.

TCM is showing Countdown(1967) with James Caan and Robert Duvall tomorrow at 1545. What TiVo has is Countdown(1968) "Feature version of Lassie episodes..."

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Bloviating! That is the perfect description of how the show descriptions are now. There are like three lines available and, more often than not, they are all used for bloviations. Sometimes there is room for one or two more words and that's it.

Or, my other favorite - they put the names of the stars, or guest stars in the description part, EVEN THOUGH they are already listed below! Seriously! (sorry for yelling) That is annoying. Just weird - the whole thing is weird. I wish I had never heard of Rovi. I hadn't until this happened in Tivo-land.

zalusky likes this.
  18. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Comcast did this because of an ongoing lawsuit between what was Rovi over use of patents, not because of the quality (or lack of quality) of the metadata.