1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Deleting Secondary Premium Channels

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aindik, Jul 31, 2012.

1. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Remember how cool it was when digital cable first came out, and you got like 10 different channels each of HBO and Showtime?

Well, apparently Comcast thinks that's over. In our market (and I think this is a national trend), the four premium packages will include a) 4 channels of HBO (main, main west, 2, and signature), b) 2 channels of Cinemax, c) only the main channel of Showtime, and d) only the main channel of Starz. This is effective August 23.

Of course, the packages will still include the On Demand libraries from these services. I guess Comcast thinks that people will still pay $15-$20 / month just for the VOD access and the main channel, and they can free up bandwidth for something else.

TiVo needs to get me XFinity On Demand access soon.

2. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    What they need to do is get rid of the West feeds of channels, that's one channel that's literally a waste.

3. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I like having both west and easy coast feeds for HBO & the like. There have been many times I've found a show in progress and been able to set it to record just an hour or two later on the west coast channel.

No sign of Verizon doing the same as Comcast.

4. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I should add that I'm not sure if Comcast is getting rid of the SD versions of these channels. It is definitely getting rid of the HD versions.

5. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    We got a postcard talking about it and they seem to indicate they are replacing the channels with sports channels. I guess now that onDemand is available to Tivos they are restarting their equivalent of tuning adapter nonsense again.

6. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    onDemand is available to TiVos? Is this a Comcast thing or a new model TiVo thing?

7. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Comcast XFinity On Demand is available on TiVos in two markets only: Boston and San Francisco (and surrounding areas). Supposedly a nationwide rollout is coming, but we know how that goes.

TiVo Premiere and newer, only.

8. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Slightly off topic but was COMCAST going to change their name to XFINITY at one point but decided to back off?

Cuz no one I know seems to have a clue what 'XFINITY' really is when it comes to them. It is not any service as far as i can tell and it is as of now not a company name change.

As of now it reminds me of those cheesy 80's infomercials that proclaim "space age technology' in their product.

9. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    But more than likely it's also on just a few hours later again on the eastern channel.

10. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but it's on for sure in a couple hours on the west coast feed.

What's the harm in keeping all the channels? It's not like they're running out of numbers.

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The Pac-12 Network is starting up August 15, and it will include a national network, plus six regional networks to represent the six different regions in the Pac-12 (Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Southern California, Arizona, Moutain). I wonder if Comcast is making room in their bandwidth to offer not only the national feed, but also the regional feeds.

12. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Stated motivation: To recover bandwidth

Conspiracy theory motivation: To drive people to VOD. Why do they care about that? I think that's either consumer lock-in/churn reduction, or it drives more equipment rentals. Or perhaps both.

13. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I have comcast and have never had the HD versions of the secondary channels. I get all the SD versions

14. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I don't have the card anymore but that sounds like it might be right!

15. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Whew, thanks again to my overlords at Verizon FiOS for keeping most of these extra channels in the bundle for me. :)

That doesn't mean that my day isn't coming :eek: More than likely they'll eventually pull the same crap that Comcast is doing here, with a similar excuse. Hopefully by then I'll have more video on demand options available to me as well. :)

16. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    The only HBO channels I get in HD are HBO, HBO2, and HBO Zone. The others (HBO Comedy, HBO Family, HBO Latin, and HBO Signature) are in SD only.

Xfinity VOD in the Boston market? I wonder if that includes me...

17. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    They added the other HBO channels in HD fairly recently here in Philly. I'm thinking maybe a year ago.

18. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    OP, please link your source. I can't find any verification of your information.

19. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    My source is a piece of paper I got in the mail from Comcast.

20. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    Please scan and post here.