1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Cable Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Frank_H, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Frank_H

Frank_H New Member

May 21, 2011
    I have a Tivo Premier that I plan to retire and replace with a Roamio. Can I just transfer the existing cable card to the Roamio or do I need to get it re-paired? Thanks.

2. chg

chg New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Pretty sure you will have to get it re-paired.

Had to do that when I went from a HD to a Premiere.

3. bmel

bmel New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    I just replaced a TiVo hd with a TiVo premier. Moved the old card. Took a couple of calls to ok cast before it repaired properly.

Will the M card that gives me two channels on the premier Give me 4 channels on the roamio? Or is it a different type of m card?

I might return the premier and get the roamio

4. chg

chg New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I believe the same M card should give you the 4 channels.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    m-cards support up to 6 simultaneous streams.

6. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    You have to repair it. Do yourself a favor and call their dedicated CableCARD line. Don't go through the national Comcast 800 number or you'll be on hold forever.

When I called to repair mine, the call was answered by a real person (not a telephone tree voice system).

877-405-2298

7. TrooperOrange

TrooperOrange New Member

Apr 22, 2012

That is what I did, setup tivo, threw in cable card from old tivo, called up the direct cable card line, they did their thing, 1/2 hour later everything worked fine, including VOD.

8. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Actually the Cisco PKM 908 M card supports up to 8 simultaneous streams while the more common Cisco and Scientific Atlanta PKM 800 and 801 M cards only support up to 6 simultaneous streams.

9. gothaggis

gothaggis New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    thanks! I called the main comcast line and they could not get it activated...(they had no idea what they were doing..only asked for the cable card s/n) - hung up frustrated, found this thread, called that number and they had it working in 5 minutes.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    No, you have to repair it. Comcast requires cards to be repaired when moved to a new unit. Or even if you change the hard drive (at least prior to Roamio; can't say for certain on the new units). And of course once you get it properly paired, it will authorize six streams instead of four.:up:

11. mpf541

mpf541 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I just got a new roamio and went down and picked up a new cable card.I wanted to keep the old one going for a while longer. Well when trying to activate it it did not work. I pulled it out of the other tivo and had comcast pair it to the new tivo. Still had some issues and a call to tivo got it all solved in a 3 way call. Seems the Comcast text did not un bind it from the original tivo.

Don't count on comcast having any body that knows what they are doing but i ended up reusing a cable card I had and returning the one I just picked up.

12. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    When I got my Premier Comcast insisted on a truck roll, and the tech couldn't get any of the cards he brought to pair because the equipment at the head end insisted they weren't valid Comcast cards (despite the fact he had just been given them at the warehouse that morning). He had to go and pick up some more before getting one that worked, so apparently Comcast tracks serial numbers or something in addition to wanting to pair with your specific device (and apparently they had very very poor inventory control :).

13. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I don't know what to believe. I had to replace a faulty CC on my Premier XL. All I did was insert the new CC, worked like a charm. I didn't have to repair it.

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Do you have any premium channels?

15. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    No

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There's your answer. I too have no premium channels and have run w/o pairing a self-installed (I got the first two prior to August 2011 and a Comcast was still requiring tech installs) CableCARD. However, THere were occasions when a channel change would result in the appearance of the CableCARD info screen, so I eventually had it paired.

17. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Comcast had to roll a truck for my XL4 as well. Turns out the cablecard they gave me at the office was in their system as being installed in one of their own boxes, and if their computer shows its been paired to a comcast box, it wont work in a Tivo, until they clear the cablecard out of their system, and re-enter it. Very frustrating...but at least they were on time (on a Sunday no less), and didnt charge for the truck roll since it was their issue.

18. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    I've had that happen and it's frustrating to say the least. In my case they claimed they didn't have the ability to remove it and re add it to the system which I'm skeptical about.

19. chg

chg New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Yup. Told him he had to re-pair it in the post before (which he did). He was then asking if the same cable card could do more than two streams.

20. randy3y

randy3y New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    I had that exact same experience and then once I did finally get a card to connect it failed in about a month. I had to make two trips to TWC store to finally get a well working M card.

- next time I will tell them to bring at least a dozen cards.