1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Cable-Card question?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by WVZR1, Jan 24, 2014.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Will my XL4 with my "cable-card" work on an outlet on the "same NODE" in the community or does the "cable-card' actually only see a signal from the drop of "my address"?

2. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    In my experience with Comcast, the cable card will work anywhere that is serviced by the same head end. Give it a try. It won't hurt anything.

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    So your thoughts are that it just wants to be "in the vicinity" so to speak. Interesting thought and that's actually what I wanted ti hear but if it was going to be a "potential NO" and someone could confirm that I thought it worth the ask.

I don't know that it's what I'll do but it would mean I could at least have my TiVo rather than rely on just an HD box.

4. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    What are you trying to do?

5. TiVoTJung

TiVoTJung New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    im pretty sure that the cable card would work anywhere but comcast would probably know if you are moving around. the cable card would probably get a different ip address then if it were at your home.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I don't know what an IP address would have to do with anything regarding the "general purpose" service of a cable-carded TiVo. Perhaps if a person attempted to use "On demand". TiVo would certainly see the different IP but that's inconsequential I would think so long as the TiVo is "subscribed" which it's actually a "life-timed" Premier.

Move my TiVo temporarily to another residence that is certainly on the same "head-end" but also on the same service "node"! It will likely be at the other address for maybe 2 months.

7. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Could you just legit move the service? I guess see if it works, and if it doesn't move it officially.