1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Cable Card fees?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johnny Danger, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    How much do you pay for Cable Cards rental/fees?

Comcast said its " free for first retail device" but they often play ticks with outlet fees,etc...

How much do you pay comcast for the privilege of using your own equipment?

I'm not talking about the cost of the cable package but rather the cost associated with the cable card and/or " outlet fees" ?

Thanks.

2. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Most packages come with a box included so the card replaces the box. Many people get a $2.50 a month credit. I used to get it, but they screwed my card up and took it out and put it back into the system over a year ago and then the credit went away and Comcast played dumb and said there is no way they can put the credit back into the system, so I call every six months and get a $15 credit...LOL. A second card costs different prices in different regions. They are not the same all over, it is very strange.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Do you pay something like a $10 outlet fee to have the Cable Card ? If I want to keep both the cablebox and get a Tivo so I won't have to play the game of trying to get the credit. Do they play the outlet game with you?

Thanks.

4. sfhub

sfhub Active Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Comcast will eventually screw you and charge you an outlet fee for every card beyond the first one. Sometimes they will even charge you an outlet fee for the first one even though they shouldn't.

Your best bet is to get a 4 or 6 tuner unit and get just one card. If the price doesn't come out correct, ask them to drop all equipment from your account, then just add 1 cablecard.

As mentioned above, usually you can get a $2.50 equipment credit but it isn't consistent. Sometimes you only get it if you got charged the outlet fee.

5. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I realize their website FAQ said the first cable card for retail device is free.

So are you saying that you get your first cable card free(without a digital outlet cost)? If so, do you reject an included cable box to get that?

Is that conditional on giving back a cable box that the package normally includes?

I know the comcast Cable boxes is not a retail device however Comcast refuses to let people avoid the leasing fee by owning their own equipment. They play name games trying to call fees different things to confused people to what they are actually doing.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  6. sfhub

sfhub Active Member

Jan 6, 2007
    After a lot of arguing, I am getting charged $1.50 and get a $2.50 credit for customer owned equipment, but they have tried to sneak in outlet fees every once in a while. I do not have a cable box.

7. sfhub

sfhub Active Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you want the cable box, they will usually charge you an outlet fee for additional equipment. Their outlet fee bundles in equipment and programming fees and it can be very difficult to get them to break them out individually. Sometimes you can do it if you have lots of time to argue, but then it'll get screwed up again. Drop the cable box, get a 6/4 tuner TiVo and use TiVo Minis. This will be least amount of hassle.

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If you keep the Comcast STB, then you will get charged whatever your local Comcast franchise charges for additional CableCARDS. Up until earlier this year, we only had 4 CableCARDS with the first one free and the other 3 were costing $1.00 each and no outlet fees. Note though that we were an original Adelphia location. They upgraded their billing system though and started to bill us an additional outlet fee for the 3 CableCARDS minus the customer owned equipment discount of $2.50 (so $7.45 each). Since we had upgraded to a Roamio Pro and were no longer recording on the 2 S3's, I went ahead and turned in the extra CableCARDs. We are not being charged the HD technology fee though since we have no Comcast STB or DVR.

Why do you want to keep the STB?

Scott

Purepain likes this.
  9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    With no Comcast boxes it should be free minus $2.50 customer equipment credit for the first card. And with Minis one card is all you need.

10. jalind

jalind John

Feb 27, 2005
    Terra, 3rd...
    I've been round and round and round again with the local office on this that I should be paying an outlet fee PLUS $1.50 for every cable card making it more expensive than getting a Comcast STB, including the first one without a $2.50 credit. Asked them about it and got the shoulder shrug and the comments that TiVos are obsolete technology as are cable cards and that eventually none of it will work on their system. Period. They want desperately for everyone they service here to dump all cable card devices and the cable cards. I have to deal with Comcast central billing on the phone to get stuff properly billed. The local office here HATES TiVos.

11. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    We pay $0 for our one cable card for our Roamio Pro. We only have the one TV/outlet now. We get a $2.50 service credit for customer owned equipment.

We used to have a pair of S3's, so 4 cable cards in total. For that one we did pay: $0 for first outlet/first card, $1.50 for first outlet/second card, $7.95 (I think?) for second outlet, $0 for second outlet/first card, and $1.50 for second outlet/second card.

Did not have to play any games to get them to do the original pricing or change it when we switched over to the Roamio. It was all automatic.

jlb likes this.
  12. chiguy50

chiguy50 Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    There are two discrete fees at play here.

The first is the fee to rent a CableCARD (CC). Although billing practices can vary throughout the Comcast service network, generally the CC's are supplied free of charge (with the exception of those legacy devices which take more than one CC, resulting in a monthly charge of $1.50 for the "second card in same device").

The second fee is for connecting additional digital devices to access the Comcast video service. If you already have a Comcast digital STB/DVR (or a first TiVo DVR in lieu of the Comcast equipment) and want to connect a(nother) TiVo DVR, that will generally result in a "digital service" or "additional digital outlet" fee of $9.95.

In either case, you are entitled to a "customer-owned equipment" (COE) credit of $2.50 for each TiVo in which you activate a Comcast-supplied CC (see attached policy statement). IOW, with one TiVo and no Comcast digital STB/DVR on your account, your net CC cost is -$2.50. For each additional device, the cost is $7.45 ($9.95 less $2.50). Some of this will depend on the nature of the service/equipment package that you subscribe to.

Mini's, of course, have no impact on Comcast fees since they do not utilize CC's and do not constitute an additional digital outlet.

Again, YMMV since Comcast billing is so maddeningly inconsistent (and incompetent). If you wind up getting stiffed on any of this, you need to complain and, if necessary, politely persist on escalating the matter until it is corrected.

If this all seems convoluted it's largely due to the FCC guidelines restricting how much MSO's can charge for CC rental--and Comcast's greed. Comcast initially tried to impose inflated CC fees and presumably ran into trouble with their consumers lodging complaints. At any rate, they figured out that they could avoid legal blowback by shifting the fees from a CC line item charge to something else that they could justify outside the CC rules.

In all fairness, the system can also be worked to your advantage if you are an informed consumer and willing to advocate for yourself. I have benefited from numerous discounts, freebies, rebates, and other compensation from Comcast over the years when I have contested charges or asked for a special offer.

Attached Files:

13. jlb

jlb NCC-1701-D

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA

Same general region. We are 0$ for our one CC. But no service credit. I'd call but don't want to risk them messing things up.

14. sfhub

sfhub Active Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Yes, I've found with Comcast and complaints as long as the net amount is within reason, I don't bother complaining. They can easily (and often do) mess it up even worse, especially when you have multiple cards and any bad mistake is magnified by the number of cards.

The highly YMMV is due to 2 things
    1) different regions that may have been other cable networks that Comcast picked up and have different billing systems/policies being shoehorned into corporate policies
    2) there is some flexibility in how they decide to set up your cablecards on your account, it doesn't always have to be set up the same way, and that can have billing implications

I find the least amount of hassle is when you just have a single card because in most if not all areas, your package includes 1 device/outlet built in. Even then they can be off $1-$2 a month with the charges or the credits, but it just isn't worth the hassle to argue. If you want, for the small amounts that take a disproportianate amount of time to complain and get fixed, just call every few months and they'll issue you a credit for what you are owed to shut you up.

15. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    So you don't have a cable box, have a plan that includes a cable box and only have a cable card Tivo and they still charge you the $1.50 as well as periodically being charged an " digital outlet fee" even though their FAQ say that the first retail device will be provided a cable card at no additional cost?

" Will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
    The first CableCARD in a retail CableCARD device is free to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (as is the case with certain older model TiVo devices), a charge will be applied based on your area."

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

No wonder Comcast is rated the worst company in America. Do they have an excuse or just more B.S?

16. sfhub

sfhub Active Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I actually have 4 CableCARDs and had the first card free before. I had another billing error due to billing system coding change, about 7 years back that took a while to fix. I won't go into details, but in the end it was better to be set up this way.

17. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    So if you have a comcast STB, and exactly 1 cable card in a TIVO, they will charge you as if you have a additional card?

So they are counting the Comcast STB as the first retail cable card device?

Even though, comcast said " Will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
    The first CableCARD in a retail CableCARD device is free to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (as is the case with certain older model TiVo devices), a charge will be applied based on your area."

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/"

I don't get how the STB is considered a cable card retail device.

18. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Can the Mini do live TV or do playback on recorded shows? Is there something that the Mini will refuse to stream the channel if the Network said they don't want it streamed? So that it may or may not work?

Thanks.

19. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    How are TiVo or any DVR obsolete? The only reason why I stopped using my ReplayTV DVR is because they started emcrypting the channels and it did not have the ability to change the channel on the cablebox. It was a result to comcast trying to ruin the ability of customers to use their own equipment by encrypting everything and requiring a cablebox( which they lied about by the way)

How can they they stop using cable cards? I thought that CableCard were FCC Law? Is there any truth to being to stop all cable cards?

Comcast employees seem like they hate a lot of things besides Tivo such as their customers. There is even a video in which a comcast truck caused a flood of traffic accidents by parking his truck after a hill that was covered with ice and snow and anyone who came over the hill out not have time to react and ended up crashing to skidding off the road. A good citizen had to stop and try to warn people as he pleaded with the comcast employee to either move his truck or put up more cones to warn people.

State, Comcast investigating viral video of crashes where truck blocked traffic on icy road

Once a comcast guy came to my house and charged me $150 for " outlet" setup because he counted the number of outlets I had on my cable splitter in my utility room.

Anyway, please let me know if there is any truth to being able to stop all cable cards? Is there a current rule change they are referring to or are they just going to try to change an existing rule? I know comcast employees a lot of the children of politicians( indirect bribery?)

Thanks.

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Doesn't matter if it is or not. The $1.50 is only supposed to be for a second card in the same device. If you only have 1 card in the TiVo, you should at most be charged an ADO fee and you should receive a $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment" credit.