1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Cable Card Error Screen: "In order to start cable service..."

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by shipspeed, Jun 14, 2012.

1. shipspeed

shipspeed New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    "In order to start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider."

Anybody know what the cause of this error screen? I see it maybe once every 2-3 days. If I hit "clear" on the remote, it goes away; however, it's annoying that it's happening at all.

I have Comcast in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm using a Premier box with multi-stream cable card.

[​IMG]

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Your card is not setup correctly. Call Comcast and have the Cable Card re-paired.

More info at TiVo.com CableCARDs: Troubleshooting

3. fleabag

fleabag New Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Had it since day one (6+ months). Called Tivo support and after they looked at the signal levels displayed on my device Tivo support told me my signal was too strong. Really? They said to connect a splitter and leave one end unterminated. Well I did that anyway and it didn't fix anything. This error message does not show up on a recording. Hitting clear will clear the message, but the error will eventually return either the same day or maybe in a couple of days. Typically it returns when a potential super bowl game winning pass is in the air. Guess I will contact Comcast.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Instead of leaving the second output port on the splitter unterminated, you should put a 75 ohm terminator on it.

Little silver screw on things, similar looking to the plugs on the end of cable TV co-ax. Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot.

Using a splitter in that circumstance is just a quick and dirty way to introduce some attenuation in the line, since they're more readily available, like maybe even at a drugstore available, than actual attenuators.

5. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Or just run another cable from the splitter to the RF coax jack on your tv, at least as a test before you trek over to one of those stores.

6. Tinker15

Tinker15 New Member

Apr 4, 2015
    If the repair does not work go to your cable provider and get a couple of cable cards. For Comcast customers don't call the number on that screen.... Call 1-855-484-1453 mountain time. They are trained how to use Tivos and and correctly pair cable cards.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. Tinker15

Tinker15 New Member

Apr 4, 2015
    If you are not getting your premium channels than have the person check the Val numbers. I had a check mark by mine and so when they found that and did what they did on their end it was fixed fast after hours on thehone! then I retuned the cable equipment and then it changed the codes and then again I kept getting that screen and no vod ! I spent hours and hours on the phone with the cable co until I called TiVo when they transferred me to the Comcast TiVo dept! They got the right code and did all their stuff but they said they were afraid with all that reparing that the cc was damaged and to go to the cable co and get a couple of cards and call back so I did just that called them and I it was up and running with vod premium channels within 2 min! So I wrote that number down and will never call the reg number again!
    1-855-484-1453 USA