1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast about to encrypt everything.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomhorsley, Aug 1, 2014.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Just got a letter from Comcast saying they will soon be encrypting all channels. I guess I won't be tuning any clear QAM channels on my TV anymore, everyone goes through the cable card now.

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Comcast did that in CT about 3 years ago, but they will give you, cost free, up to 2 DTA adapter(s) to get basic cable (no HD) for two years after the conversion, after that Comcast will start charging for that DTA at about $2.95/month.

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I just hope they don't go all Time-Warner and mark everything copy protected at the same time...

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    That's what I actually thought you meant when I saw the header.:eek:

Because one nice thing about Comcast is nothing is copy protected except the premium channels. At least in Houston.

5. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    No they don't. They are TiVo-friendly, not waging war on TiVo like the evil TWC.

The all-digital conversion is pretty painless. The only downside is that it's harder to troubleshoot CableCard issues, since there's no ClearQAM channels to come through if the CableCard isn't working or paired properly...

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Comcast is not a single entity in this regard - it's a decision made by individual operators. In many markets, Comcast did away with clear QAM years ago. In my mother's market, it happened last year.

7. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I will also add that clear QAM is gone also.

8. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Comcast is one company. However, they act like they are still hundreds of little cable operators- all the various companies that they bought up through various M&A deals to become Comcast since they can't get their act together with regionalizing and standardizing their systems, channel lineups, internet offerings, etc. Comcast is a complete mess. They have let the legacy of many different systems slow them down massively with upgrades.

They are supposedly getting rid of Clear QAM nationwide, but then again, getting rid of analog took several years.

What's really scary is that they want to buy TWC, which has some of the same issues, although I'm not sure if they are as bad as Comcast's. Now add TWC and Comcast together, who have two totally different approaches to manage capacity, and you have an even worse situation than you have now. Comcast has done the right thing and rebuilt systems to 860mhz, except that they gave up partway through their rebuild effort, and never finished, and apparently have no plans to follow through with what they started doing, so some systems are upgraded and some aren't. I'm not sure about TWC on rebuilds, but they use SDV as a huge crutch in terms of capacity, and are now giving more capacity to HSI in order to offer Maxx.

Add in that Comcast is a Motorola provider, but has some Sci Atlanta systems, and TWC is Sci Atlanta provider, and you have an even bigger mess on your hands. You think either company is screwed up now? Wait until they try and operate as one company!