1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast 4-Tuner CableCARD, How can I get one

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by checkyourmirror, Apr 10, 2014.

1. checkyourmirror

checkyourmirror New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    I went to the local Comcast office and they said Comcast doesn't offer 4 tuner cards, only 2 tuner. I called multiple numbers and got the same story that Comcast doesn't have more than 2 tuner cards. So I have my Romio plus and how do I go about getting a 4 tuner card that works with Comcast?

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You were misinformed. Just take the M-card they have that they are telling you is just a 2-tuner card and it will almost certainly allow 4 tuners to work.

3. checkyourmirror

checkyourmirror New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    So the m-card I already have should work? And anyway to verify if it has 4 tuners? Lastly do I call the cable card hotline to get the other 2 tuners activated or the firmware updated?

4. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, it should. Most CableCards you would get today will support 4 tuners. I'm pretty sure that the FCC actually requires them to support at least a 4-tuner CableCard.

Probably the easiest way is to just manually set 4 recordings on 4 different channels at the same time, let them record for a few minutes, and then stop and watch all 4 of them to see if they recorded correctly. If all 4 simultaneously recorded correctly, then you know for sure that you have all 4 tuners working.

If you did the above and all 4 tuners are working correctly, then you probably don't need to worry about it. But before you go through the headache of calling them to try to get them to push a firmware update, go into the settings to check and see what version of the firmware the card is currently running.

5. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I reread your original post and it says that you have a Romio Plus. The Plus actually has 6 tuners. You may have somewhat more difficulty getting a CableCard with the updated firmware to support all 6 tuners, but if you were able to get 4 tuners to work, try setting 6 recordings simultaneously and see what happens.

6. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    What brand of CableCARD do you have, and what is the firmware version? (You can determine the latter via the TiVo CableCARD info screens.)

7. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    IMO, a good check to do is to verify the firmware version on the card and compare it to the versions TiVo recommends.

Tivo has a web page that helps explain how to do that:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2566

Expand CableCard Troubleshooting, then I have a Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro, but not all of my tuners are working, and take a look a that.

8. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    All M-cards will support 6 tuners. (The tech papers refer to it as "streams") The Cisco 908 cablecard supports 8 tuners.
    The firmware version of the cablecard along with the cable company headend equipment software is important because if the cable company doesn't support it, then you're sunk.