1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colors get purple hue, then suddenly correct

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sdsvtdriver, Sep 29, 2013.

1. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I noticed while watching AMC that the picture tends to get a purple hue often, then suddenly corrects. Has anyone seen this happen before? I don't notice it on any other channels and it happens on my other TV with an S3 connected.

Signal strength is 100. SNR 36.

Here's a (badly taken) video sample. You can see the background to the left of Walt get purple and then correct suddenly.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p0V5ToPO0E[/media]

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Are you using component (Separate RBG RCA cables) connection to your TV? If so, check the connections or suspect a bad cable. Purple would suggest a weak or missing Green signal. However, sync comes along the green cable also, so if that is completely disconnected you get a black screen. A weak Green signal could still provide sync but make the picture somewhat purple, I would think. Easy to tell: just wiggle the cable near each end.

I don't see this effect on any channel, including AMC with my Tivo HD.

3. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Running HDMI, no component. I wonder if it's in the cable company side.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It could be your TV acting up. How old is it?
    I would say to temporarily put your source directly to the TV, bypassing the Tivo.
    This will, at least, help you narrow down which device may be the culprit.

5. theGliberal

theGliberal Time out for fun...

Oct 27, 2006
    St. Paul
    Try a different HDMI cable to see if the problem still occurs. I had a similar issue, where the color would get all whacky and I'd have to "restart". I'm all OTA, by the way.

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Nah. It's HDCP or something else going wrong on the HDMI handshake. That's what I get with my Roku when I have 5.1 sound(?) enabled vs 2 channel stereo.

Check the HDMI cable connections and try shorter cables. It won't fix it. :p

Going to component cables will fix it.