1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color intermittent

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ozbone, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ozbone

ozbone New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    My SA Series 2 (240-xxx) has been acting oddly for the past few days. Its our #2 Tivo so its not in constant use. Occasionally the picture will lose color - that is ALL screens - even Tivo screens. I've read about S-video and the black&white problems but I use coax. And this doesn't seem black&white so much as it seems like the colors are maybe extremely over-saturated or over-bright. What really odd is that if I re-start the Tivo the problem disappears.... and then comes back several hours later. I have double-checked all connections. Any ideas ?

2. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Try replacing the wire or trying a different style wire go to s-video, composite, etc.

3. ozbone

ozbone New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    OK, over the past few weeks I've tried all sorts of wiring variables and, for a while, the problems seemed resolved. Now, its back and it doesn't look good. The net of it is that regardless of which Tivo outputs I use (coax or composite) I still get the same washed out/over saturated look; and its still an intermittent problem. Even more telling is that when I completely disconnect my cable coax signal, and am left with a Tivo "no signal"screen, the picture is still bad. To me, that seems to incriminate the Tivo's output. But again, as usual, re-starting the Tivo eliminates the problem ... at least for a while. Has anyone encountered anything like this? Its a Lifetime Tivo and much as my wife would love a new dual-tuner, I'd hate to give it up.

4. Puppy76

Puppy76 Active Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Could be the TV too.

5. ozbone

ozbone New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Nope not the TV.
    Spoke to Tivo Tech Sprt today; went through all the variables with them and they said they had never encountered such a problem, that it would not be repairable and then offered to sell me a refurb - I guess b/c its a Lifetime - for $149. I'm trying one more wiring option - this one with S-video - I'm not too optimistic; I'm guessing that all of the Tivo's outputs are on the motherboard and what affects one output will affect ALL outputs.
    Any who have taken the refub route: I'm assuming they'll want my bad unit before they ship the replacement? Any idea what model they send to replacemy 40-hr 240?

6. ozbone

ozbone New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I won't go into all of the details here but let's just say that all of the s**t I've had to go through to get a replacement Tivo - at least, one that works - has been mind boggling. Tivo may have a great product - but its one seriously screwed up company. I will NOT be buying any more Tivos - that is for certain.

7. bobbos

bobbos New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Ozbone,
    I have had a similar problem... well, still do. And I have an S-video currently connected. I have found that RCA connectors typically hold while the S-video manages to make the problem appear. It seems that they have a weakness with these connections. Glad to know I'm not alone while I'm not glad to see that no one really has a solution aside from getting a refurb which from your experience does not seem the easy way to go...