1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COAX vs CAT 5e on FIOS, which one is better?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by GmanTiVo, Mar 10, 2014.

1. GmanTiVo

GmanTiVo give me more options

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I am looking to replace 3 VZ DVRs with a Roamio Pro & 2 Minis in the near furfure (waiting for the next round of deals). I currently own a 2TB OLED S3 w/LT as well

I have VZ FIOS, ONT to GigE Actiontec router. RG6 quad shielded COAX and CAT 5e from the router to the rest of the house. I also have 2 Actiontec Rev F wireless routers (I've been sitting on them for separate MoCa networking if needed)

The new TiVo units are to be placed in the same spot as the FIOS ones so there is existing COAX (obviously) and CAT 5e as well (2 home run to the GigE router, 1 via Linksys switch)

Is there a consensus on what is best to use speed/transfer/stream/response wise (Roamio > Minis) since all things equal MoCa (from reading various threads) is pretty much plug & play with the FIOS Actiontec

Thank you,

Gman

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ethernet is preferred over MoCA, but with the given network demands of a Roamio + Minis, there should not be a noticeable difference between MoCA and Ethernet setups. Cat5e would only noticeably improve transfer speeds if you want to download shows to your computer.

Since you have Cat5e available at all locations, I'd use that. MoCA is a great alternative to those without wired Ethernet.

3. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    With your setup, I'd run cat5 tivo pro to the router to take advantage of the gigabit connection between the router and the roamio pro. I'd use moca between the minis and the tivo which likely will be a faster connection as the moca can move the video faster than the ethernet on the mini.

Other than transfer/streaming speeds, choice is mostly a matter of personal preference as either will be fine.

4. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Considering the max video bitrate you can encounter for broadcast television is just over 19 Mbps, the upper limit of the Mini's 100 Mbps Ethernet port versus MoCA's theoretical 270 Mbps upper limit is valid, but irrelevant.

5. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    thank you

6. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Ethernet might be more reliable, but try MoCA for as much as you have built-in adapters for, and then Ethernet for everything else.

7. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Ohh, so you can mix & match? i.e. Roamio + 2 Minis can be:

Ethernet (R), Ethernet (M1), MoCa(M2)
    Ethernet (R), MoCa(M1), MoCa(M2)
    MoCa (R), Ethernet (M1), MoCa(M2)

good to know, ty

8. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yup. As long as the Roamio is plugged into both, OR there is a MoCA adapter to bridge the two networks. Then it's all one network that's bridged, so there's no reason you can't have both. In fact, my network uses Ethernet, MoCA, Powerline, and Wifi. If I control one of my Minis with my iPhone it goes Wifi>>>Ethernet>>>AV500>>>Ethernet>>>MoCA.

9. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    ^^^ ty!

Now before I pull the trigger I have to figure out what is best, Pro + 3 Minis or if a Pro + 2 Minins + a Plus can be networked to work together :)

edit (to avoid confusion):
    As in my original post, I have VZ FIOS ONT & GigE Actiontec router. RG6 quad shielded COAX and CAT 5e from the router to the rest of the house.

10. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    The thread poster is on verizon fios with the actiontec router. This effectively provides a MOCA bridge between the coax and ethernet.

11. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Good call. Apparently I completely missed that they were using a FIOS router. Yeah, that would be the MoCA LAN bridge.

12. mt3gr1ty

mt3gr1ty New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    I also have Verizon FiOS and decided to use MoCa for all the minis (3x) and my Roamio Plus is hooked directly into my router (I have 75/35 internet). I am having absolutely no issues using the existing MoCa setup and it made things A LOT easier.

13. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    ^^^ Good to know, many thanks, G

14. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Is the PLUS connected with Ethernet only with MoCA turned off? If it had both, it would create a loop, and through the balance of the universe out of whack... or something...

15. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    With cat5, the blinking network lights were driving me nuts. I switched to MOCA and no more blinking lights.

16. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    on Sat I installed a Roamio Pro & 3 Minis. As originally mentioned I have VZ FIOS GigE Router/WiFi, Cat 5e and COAX going to all the places where the new TiVo units were going (replacing VZ DVRs & STB).

I took the lazy man route :) and asked what cables my wife would like to see (from wall outlet to TiVo device)...... it is all on MoCa

Connections:
    FIOS ONT > Actiontec MI424WR GigE ROuter >COAX & Cat 5e (home run) >TiVo Roamio Pro

3 Minis <> COAX (with various VZ gigahertz splitters in the loop).

Install:
    Roamio, various initial settings. When I ran Network Setup, was asked if I wanted to create a MoCa Network (VZ Actiontec router supports this), finished setup, guided setup, etc., once everthing was working fine I put the roamio in Standby and unplugged it.

From PC I rebooted the router.

5 Min later (got myself a beer :)) plugged Roamio back in, exited Standby,.... all systems go.

One at a time I pluged in the Minis Power (already COAX connected), ren the respective setups.

I had 2 N02 and one C33 error codes pop up. I gnored them for the moment.

From PC I rebooted the router, and went for anothe beer ;)

10 min. later, like magic, all Minis were up and running. One at a time i did a Connect to TiVo Service just to make sure the internet connection worked, it did :) and both My Shows and Watch Live TV worked properly.

Total time, 3 hours including Mcard activation. :cool:

Gman

17. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Glad things are working. Any particular reason for the cat5 run to the Pro? Just coax would be plenty.

18. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Wasn't sure if redundancy was needed... the cat 5e was there (was plugged into my S3) so I used it and now a pita to get behind the furniture and unplug :p

19. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Lately I have been getting on all 3 Minis the circular thingy indicating the system is busy doing something (i.e accessing the Roamio or getting the stream from the Roamio) and am going to switch to using an Ethernet Network only.

For other reasons ia am also upgrading some of the cabling to Cat6 and Cat6a

Out of curiosity, is there a submenu on the Roamio & Minis which will show me access or transfer sppeds amonst the devices? I'd be curuois to see the difference.

Gman

20. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    MoCA is a bus architecture. It's like the old days before switched ethernet. That means all the MoCA devices share the bandwidth, just like all wireless devices share the total wireless AP bandwidth. Shouldn't be an issue with just a couple devices, but the more you add, the further it gets divided. I have to believe MoCA overcomes some of the old bus topology problems. On the old coax ethernet, if one device messed up it could cause problems with every other device. Switched ethernet isolates issues to just that single device.