TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

CNET New TiVo HD Review

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dan203 
#1 ·
CNET has posted a lengthy review of the new TiVO HD by John Falcone.

John Falcone also reviewed the Series 3 last year.

I am unable to post the URL

#5 ·
The TiVo HD units use a branched version of 8.1, so the menu enhancements that came with 8.3 aren't yet implemented for them. Once the two branches merge in the next release (probably this fall, maybe sooner) the TiVo HD menus will probably be just as fast as the S3s. They use a better processor, and have the same amount of RAM, as the S3 units so this shouldn't be like the 540 series of S2 units, which used crappier hardware then their predecessors in an attempt to cut costs.

Edit: according to bkdtv's assessment of Megazone's high res photos it appears the TiVo HD actually has twice as much RAM as the older S3.

Dan

#6 ·
And, really, in my use I don't see lags in most of the screens. Sure, re-ordering the Season Passes gives you Please Wait - always has, probably always will. But I have an S3, the TiVo HD, a Pioneer DVR-810H, and a Toshiba RS-TX20 in my house right now. The Toshiba is the slowest, hands way, way, way down. The S3 is the fastest. The TiVo HD seems to be on par, maybe a little faster, than the Pioneer. I think some screens are a tad faster, some maybe a tad slower. But quite acceptable - and definitely closer to the S3 than to the Toshiba.

#7 ·
Dan203 said:
The TiVo HD units use a branched version of 8.1, so the menu enhancements that came with 8.3 aren't yet implemented for them. Once the two branches merge in the next release (probably this fall, maybe sooner) the TiVo HD menus will probably be just as fast as the S3s. They use a better processor, and have the same amount of RAM, as the S3 units so this shouldn't be like the 540 series of S2 units, which used crappier hardware then their predecessors in an attempt to cut costs.

Edit: according to bkdtv's assessment of Megazone's high res photos it appears the TiVo HD actually has twice as much RAM as the older S3.

Dan
Not sure which would be worse: 8.1 software that's slow, or 8.3 software that gives you pixelation and audio dropouts.

#8 ·
I don't have any pixelation or audio dropouts with either of my S3 units running 8.3, so that's not a problem for me. I do remember that certain aspects of the UI, especially searching by name and searching by time were excruciatingly slow in the original software and that drove me nuts.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.