1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNBC: The Costco Craze: Inside the Warehouse Giant

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Apr 13, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
  2. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This sure sounds familiar?!!? Didn't they already do a Costco episode? (I don't have it listed in the various CNBC documentaries I've watched.)

3. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^^^
    That's news to me. I don't recall seeing one from them. I guess I'll find out soon enough if it's actually a rerun.

4. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
  5. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thanks for the head's up. New to me also. Love da Costco and will look for this.

6. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I've gotten through almost half of it, so far. It's pretty good and insightful.

There are a whole bunch of reruns in the next two weeks.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I'm more impressed than ever with Costco after that show.

8. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV

Ditto that! I watched yesterday and it was very interesting. Excellent company.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks. I am glad it is only an hour long show. I hope they addressed the tire issue. I heard the tire manufacturers make tires for them special. I would like to know the difference.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm only 1/4 into it so far, and it seems like almost an infomercial.

An interesting infomercial, though. I wonder if this originated in-house? It seems almost like an official company story...

11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    You have to buy a pack of 20.

;)

I watched this last night too. I knew Costco was the largest buyer of wine in the USA, so I liked the wine segment. I don't have a Costco membership, but I really liked their buyer's answer to the question about serving Kirkland brand wine at a dinner party at home. My answer was the same.

Also enjoyed the segment on toilet paper.

As far as the part on grey market items. What all do they sell that is grey market? Is it just stuff like Prada handbags and other designer items? Or does it extend to electronics that may have warrantee issues?

12. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    They've sold a lot of Apple products over the years grey market and Apple was not happy. (suck it up Apple...)

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Does that cause any issues with warrantee claims or getting service at an Apple Store? Can they tell if it was bought at a Costco?

I know Apple isn't the only product they do this was. Was wondering about stuff like cameras, too. That goes on at a lot of those camera discounters too.

14. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I just watched this show last night and found it to be very interesting. What I found interesting was the original CEO's belief about how much profit to make over all. He didn't believe in ringing every cent they can from their customers. He says that's why other companies have gone out of business. However, their markups can be very large for some items. They talked about a toy they buy for $29 and sell for $100.
    The question about the grey market warranties that some one asked about, with cameras if it is grey market the warranty usually isnt any good in the USA. Those items were ment to only be sold over seas. To get around it you can buy a 3rd party extended warrenty.

15. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    That was a stuffed Bear that they sell for $29.99 but retails for $100.

16. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I wish they didnt close so early on Sunday. Just went to get a pizza and arrived at an empty parking lot. :|

17. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    The show said their margins never exceed 15%.

18. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I almost bought one because it was so big and cheap. Dont know what I'd do with it -- giant dog toy?

19. DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Active Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Giant sex toy for a dog.

20. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I bet that was exciting for a hot second - WOW, I don't have to park a mile away! D'oh, the store is closed... :(