1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clock set on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jstaso, Jun 21, 2013.

1. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004
    I have an old single-tuner TiVo at my Dad's house that just records a couple of shows. He doesn't have internet and just dropped his landline phone. I don't mind setting manual records on it, but how do you keep the TiVo clock set?

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    It has to connect or the clock will drift over time.

3. CharlesH

CharlesH Member TCF Club

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Right. The only way to set the TiVo clock is via a network connection (perhaps dial-up) to a time server on the Internet.

4. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004

Is there a way to do a connection over a cell phone or anything? It's the old type of TiVo that doesn't connect to WiFi.

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    For all practical purposes, no.

(You could THEORETICALLY get a series 1 Ethernet card + WiFi bridge + cell phone that allowed making a local WiFi network.. But wow, that would be expensive and a pain.)

6. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Best thing to do is to adjust the manual recordings as the time drifts or to periodically take it to a phone line and let it dial in to reset the clock.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Or see if any of his neighbors have an unsecured wi-fi running.

8. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Except it's a dial-in only Tivo. Back in the day I converted my Series 1's to wi-fi, but I wouldn't think it would be worth it to him to do it now.

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yeah, like I said.. I had my S1 on ethernet through a Wifi router acting as a bridge..