1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clock Not Right

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jimlau, Mar 26, 2014.

1. jimlau

jimlau New Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I have series 4 premiere. the clock is about 10 seconds ahead of true time, and shows are thus being cut. how can i change the clock?

thanks.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    What are you basing 'true time' off of? You can't change the clock, it is re-synched every time the Tivo connects.

3. NashvilleKat

NashvilleKat Retired Old Fart

Dec 24, 2013
    I would wager the 10 second differential you see is mostly due to a cable company lag. I just checked my TiVoHD's time against my automatic clock and they were within 1 second of each other. I record OTA and cable and always see a 5 to 20 second delay in my local channels coming over cable.

4. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    You can't go by when a show starts or ends. Those are often off by a bit. Some networks are worse than others.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Force a reconnect on the TiVo. While it runs, force a reconnect on your computer. Then test the time difference.

6. jimlau

jimlau New Member

Feb 9, 2014
    how do I do that?

the time is definitely off. even if it was a cable delay, i would be stuck always adding an extra minute, a pain.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TIVO Central->Setting & Messages->Settings=>Network & Phone->Connect to the TiVo Service Now. It takes about 5 minutes.

Windows 7->Change time & date settings...-->Internet Time->Change Settings->Update Now. Repeat "update now" until it works.

Any changes after this are clock drift. I can't fix that.

8. pmiranda

pmiranda New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    At least half the shows I watch either run late or are actually longer by a whole minute because of the (for me) outdated assumption that it will hook you into watching the next show. So I pad almost everything by a minute on the end and sometimes miss the first few seconds of show when there's a conflict.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If your Tivo's clock is off by 10 minutes, that means it hasn't connected to the TiVo Service in quite awhile.

You might want to be investigating why that is not happening.

10. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    With my new Roamio I now pad all new season passes with a minute at the beginning and end. (Slowly adding that to most of my older season passes also.) I have not run into any conflicts yet. Six tuners is great!

11. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Some minor trivia with time, the most common time source people use now is GPS based however UTC and NIST (which is the "National Institute of Standards and Technology") have the official clocks, these clocks are I believe 16 seconds BEHIND the GPS clocks due to leap seconds.

The earth is slowing down (I think somebody wanted to get off) so we need to adjust the clocks.

-TL

12. NashvilleKat

NashvilleKat Retired Old Fart

Dec 24, 2013
    Seconds not minutes.

13. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    So which is correct?

I thought I read that the NIST adjusted their clocks to compensate.

14. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/utcnist.cfm

So, UTC/NIST is the "true" time, but most GPS receivers automatically apply the UTC offset to GPS time so you're still seeing UTC on your GPS device.

15. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Yes and no, the GPS is applying your offset to UTC, however it is not accounting for leap seconds so the time displayed is not true UTC.

See this page http://www.leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm of course the clock shown is based upon your computer's clock but it does show the time differences between the different standards.

16. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Yep, they do that on purpose.
    Just to mess with us DVR users.

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    D'oh! :eek:

18. truman861

truman861 New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Tampa FL
    I have had this same problem for years and years, the problem lies with your tv provider and i can say that with certainty after researching this like you wouldnt believe as it aggrivated the crap out of me.
    I also have a roamio and pad my stuff by a min at the end, exception is where there is two episodes back to back - example pawn stars, storage wars etc and it auto pads for me which is really cool.
    Sorry, theres not really a better way to resolve.

19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Suddenly, just over the last week or less, I have noticed that my Tivo time is about 15 seconds behind. It hasn't had any adverse effect on anything, but it just seems odd. Maybe it will adjust itself, so I haven't worried about it.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How is the clock set?