1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clear and Delete Everything

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by SnakeEyes, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1 of 19
    SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    How long should this take on a TiVo HD?

2. Apr 6, 2012 #2 of 19
    MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    What size hard drive does it have in it?

3. Apr 6, 2012 #3 of 19
    SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    Original drive. That's like 160GB, right?

4. Apr 6, 2012 #4 of 19
    MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah if you never swapped it out. It shouldnt take very long then, maybe 30 minutes to an hour. Last time I did it, I cleared out all the season passes and everything out of the deleted folder first and it didnt take very long. If it's a 1TB or 2TB it can take a long long time. How long has it been going for?

5. Apr 6, 2012 #5 of 19
    SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    I didn't clear everything out first, went right to clear and delete everything in settings. It's been approx an hour and 20 min.

6. Apr 6, 2012 #6 of 19
    MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I bet it will be done soon. I wouldnt worry about it just yet.

7. Apr 6, 2012 #7 of 19
    lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Less than an hour. I just did a CD&E of a 320GB drive in an old S2 and it took about an hour.

8. Apr 6, 2012 #8 of 19
    Leona74

Leona74 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    [​IMG]What size hard drive does it have in it?

9. Apr 7, 2012 #9 of 19
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I know it gets confusing and overwhelming when threads go on and on for 7 responses, but if you look at post number 3, you'll see the answer.

10. Teledatageek

Teledatageek New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Looking for help and advice... I foolishly selected this option as I wanted to default my XL and sell it since I upgraded to Premier. The XL has lifetime. Nothing was on the screen so after 90 minutes or so I pulled the plug. When I power up with nothing attached to it, gets stuck on the wait a few minutes more screen. Tivo asks why I selected that option and that I shouldn't have unless tech support advised to do it (why is it there then?!). So it appears that I am faced with a $250 hard drive replacement, only to turn around and hopefully to net $300 if I sell it.

Maybe I should just offer as is and someone get fix it and then they get the lifetime.

Thoughts/ideas? Makes me rethinking putting lifetime on my two new Premiers - Even at $400 it's @30 month payback. I know if I resell it's all good but if the unit breaks - well not so good.

11. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Did you try to reboot it, then use the kickstart 57 code? Then try the kickstart 54 code to test the hard drive? If you were not having a problem with the hard drive before I doubt its went out and needs to be replaced. Worst case scenario you might just have to re-image the hard drive.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Interrupting a clear and delete can't be good. How long have you left it plugged in after the oops? Maybe it takes some time for the Tivo to realize it's in the middle of a C&D?
    If you have to re-image and have access to a Windows PC, use WinMFS and an image from this thread (if you can't find it, ask) to restore to the hard drive.
    I think that would be the easiest way to go.

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You might also try kickstart 52 or 56.

14. Teledatageek

Teledatageek New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I had not tried a kickstart code - I must have missed that in my searching. Surprised the Weakknees didn't suggest it when I asked about my issue. I tried 57 and 54 last night - seemed to run, the hard drive test yielded no issues but still doesn't work.

Question - is there a backup copy on Tivo Harddrives? e.g. - should I try 52 or 56 first. One would conceivable be local and the other has to be downloaded from the internet.

Seems like the Tivo software needs to be reloaded to work again....

15. Teledatageek

Teledatageek New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    OK, I tried 52 and 56 to no avail - sounds like I need to replace the hard drive. Crazy question - could I just buy a used XL off of eBay and move the hard drive over to my unit which has lifetime? I don't really understand how lifetime is tagged to a particular Tivo but this method would obviously be a lot cheaper than buying a new hard drive. Obviously this presumes that the hard drive is really the issue.

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Lifetime is tied to the TSN, which is in a chip on the MB, so using a drive out of another HD XL would work. In addition, it would give you a source for spare parts.

Having said that, you might consider taking the drive out, connecting it to your computer, and running diagnostics on it. You should also visually inspect the power supply capacitors, to see if they look swollen.

You might just need to use your computer to reload the s/w. Seeing as how you were planning to sell it anyway, this would be the best option.

17. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    I doubt if clearing everything killed the drive itself, the most you may have to do is put a new image on the drive. I bet if you install a new image it will work just fine. And it's free to try.

18. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Whoops! Didn't notice you suggested a fresh OS load.

19. Teledatageek

Teledatageek New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Thank you for the additional input. I converted over to Mac so I'm not sure I have the means to do a fresh OS load - looks a little daunting (even to this technical guy). Sounds like finding a reasonably priced used one (w/o Lifetime) might be the way to go.