1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

Cinergy Metronet? Any Experience

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dae3dae3, Apr 8, 2010.

1. dae3dae3

dae3dae3 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I had a hanger on my front door yesterday stating that Cinergy Metronet is going to be installing fiber for TV/Phone/Internet. Has anyone ever heard of them? I couldn't find anything about them having cable cards. I've never even heard of them.

I really hate Comcast so I am very likely to abandon them as soon as I am given a choice but am hoping I don't have to give up my Tivo. I would have to build a home media server to replace the pytivo functions of the Tivo.

Anybody heard of this company?

2. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Holy ****--I used to work for them like 5 years ago when they first rolled out their fiber to the prem stuff. They're a smallish telco--because of that you might check if they've got CableCards, or if they got an exemption. But back in the day they used Scientific Atlanta equipment, if they still are you're probably fine.

3. dae3dae3

dae3dae3 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks.

I found some more information that they are deploying systems to rural Indiana towns. I am in a smallish Indiana town. I can't find anything about their prices or any reviews or anthing else.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It seems they use regular Scientific Atlanta cable boxes which are equipped with Cabledcards. There should be no problem getting a CC for a TiVo.

5. dae3dae3

dae3dae3 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    That is great news. I really don't want to give up the Tivo. I use the heck out of PyTivo.

6. dae3dae3

dae3dae3 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I just spoke to a CSR for Cinergy Metronet and she said they do not have cable cards. Unfortunately, I guess I will have to drop the Tivo unless something changes. I hate Comcast more than I love the Tivo. :( I will probably have to look into building a HTPC to replace some of the PyTivo funtionality.