1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

check without satellite input?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by meweslow, Feb 16, 2013.

1. meweslow

meweslow New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    At the wise suggestion from another forum, I am asking if a newly acquired philips 7000 can be tested without going through the hookup/registration process?

If not, has anyone got experience with the "switchover" procedure?

thanks

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can boot it and when it says "searching for satellite", press the TiVo/DirecTV button on the remote to go to the menus. That assumes it has already been through the initial setup. I don't know what you mean by "switchover".

3. meweslow

meweslow New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I plan to switch from the very old hughes dvr to the only old phillips. I was hoping to be able to check out the newer unit by just connecting to a second tv WITHOUT having go through the logistical hassle that putting it into my cabinetry/wiring nightmare.

What I read in the response is that just a dvr/tv is not enough and I have to hook up to the dish. I had hoped there was some built in software that would at least display a message.

thanks for the input.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, you don't need a dish connection if all you want to verify is that the box boots. Either it will take you into the setup mode or you can bypass the "searching for satellite" by pressing the menu button.