1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chasing Classic Car(mercials)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hank, May 13, 2013.

1. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Anyone else watch this show? I used to love it, until the newest episodes.

Holy smokes, the product placement is so forced and awkward!

I only watched the first episode with the two Mercedes going to auction. Even without the grotesque product placement, it couldn't have been more boring. No story about the cars, getting them, fixing them up, test drives.. just "here are two really expensive cars I'm selling at auction for clients". Snooze. The product placements made it even worse.

I feel like poor Wayne Carini was forced into this (both the product placements and the poor plot/scripts).

I'm not sure I can fathom the second episode.
  2. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I am so gullible that I thought the commercial for car finish products was actually part of the program.
  3. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I've loved the show in the past but the new season has been jarring. I know they need ads to pay for everything but this was embarrassing.

If you're into reality car shows there are several others worth watching (other than the obvious Top Gear):

Fast n' Loud - good ole boys from Texas. There's a marathon of it today. Discovery Channel. One of my favorites.

Wheeler Dealers - British. Velocity Channel.

Counting Cars - Las Vegas. History Channel.

Car Chasers - more Texans. CNBC.

Texas Car Wars - yet even more Texans. Discovery Channel. Decent but not great.

Graveyard Carz - Oregon. Velocity Channel. Mopar muscle cars.

Inside West Coast Customs - California. Velocity Channel. cancelled now but lots of reruns

Overhaulin - California. Velocity Channel.

All Girls Garage - Velocity Channel. Not one of my favorites but easy on the eyes.

I'm probably forgetting several more.
  4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I stumbled on this show a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I lost touch with it when we changed DTV packages but we switched again and have the channel. I guess I need to check it out to see what all the fury is about.
  5. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Me too... but it's a new gray area, actually, blurring the lines between commercial and program. It's nauseating.
  6. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Some of these shows are sponsored by car product manufacturers so they have commercials within the show that seem like they are part of the show.
  7. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I just re-watched the Mercedes episode, and the autogeek.net ad was totally disguised as being part of the show, with the same exterior F40 bumper shots and CCC show screen graphics. It's just so strange since Wayne has hardly ever mentioned specific products on the program. In fact, this is one show I've noticed where they often blur out specific products and logos. Generally, I don't mind product placement if it actually works into the program, but JC, make it a little less obvious. Like how they did it in Wayne's World: