1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charter self install cable cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by skruggie, Jan 17, 2013.

1. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    I just got off the phone with Charter and they told me that they no longer do professional installation of cable cards, and that I can pick them up at the office when I return their dvr box.

Is there anything I should be aware of regarding steps I need to take regarding installation for my premiere? I'm anticipating the worst in regards to this set up - is it more complicated than popping in the card and running through the on screen setup?

If there is any where online that I can find instructions for dummies, that would probably be the most helpful. I didn't find Charter's website to be particularly useful in this regard.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's relatively simple. Once you put the card into the TiVo it will popup a black screen with a bunch of numbers on it and a line along the bottom that says something like "this screen is displayed on behalf of your cable provider". Don't exit that screen! Call Charter and say "cable card install" into the automated system. When someone gets on the line they will ask you for a few of the numbers on that screen and a few minutes later all your channels should start working.

If your area requires a tuning adapter then you'll need to split the cable coming from the wall and run one end to the TA and the other to the TiVo. (don't use pass through port on TA!), then connect the TA to the TiVo via USB cable.

Dan

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recommend using the RF pass-thru if it is a Cisco Tuning Adapter and you are not using a MoCA adapter, especially if your signal levels are a bit low.

4. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    this

and this

Is relatively in a foreign language for me. Is there any way to dummy this down a bit? I always used the IR blaster in the past and this is all new.

5. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  6. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    I just got off the phone with Charter - I'm going to have them do the installation, its well worth the $30 to not have to deal with any of this, and for everything to just work properly, plus not having to go to their location to return my equipment.

problem solved:)

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    In most areas you'll need a tuning adapter. They'll give you one along with the CableCARD if it's required.

Basically it's a small box with two connections. A standard RF connection (i.e. coax) and a USB connection. You have to connect the RF connector to the cable coming from the wall and the USB connector to the TiVo. Most TAs also have a pass through port which is a second RF connector. The intention is to allow you to connect the cable from the wall to the TA and then connect the pass through port to the back of your TiVo. However the pass through port on the Motorola TAs is terrible and will degrade the signal so your TiVo wont actually be able to tune your channels properly. So instead what you need to do is get a 2 way splitter. Connect that to the cable coming from the wall, then connect one output from the splitter to the TA and the other to the TiVo. It's basically a Y. Cable from the wall goes in the bottom and two cables come out, one for the TA and one for the TiVo.

Dan