1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charter all digital

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timr_42, Jan 24, 2014.

1. timr_42

timr_42 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    Not sure about other areas, but St Louis Charter has gone all digital. Must have a box if you didn't have one before. I had to pick up a couple for my S2's.

After the switch, they moved A LOT of channels around. I had to do guided setup again to pick up the new lineup. Had hoped Tivo would have switched them automatically, but maybe because of the huge number of changes it didn't.

After setup all is well, but hated to redo all my tivos to get the lineup changed.

2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    The problem is that when they do the all digital switch, Charter reports a new lineup to Tribune but they also leave the old lineup in place. This is because your entire zip code didn't go digital at exactly the same time, they do it at the very least hub by hub if not node by node. So, the old lineup exists until the entire service area that is served by that lineup is converted. There's no real way for the TiVo box to know that you have been converted except for you to re-do the lineup manually.

When you went through Guided Setup again, when it asked what channels were on certain numbers it was determining whether or not to give you the old lineup or the rebuild lineup.

3. timr_42

timr_42 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    It was the new lineup. There was no problem at all once I redid setup. Just was expecting it to automatically change like when they do one off changes.

Just want to make sure others are aware of this. I waited for a couple of days thinking it was going to change, but since it didn't.....

4. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    How did you find out they went all digital and you needed to redo Guided Setup?

I'm in St. Louis and I know they've been talking about making the transition, though there's nothing that I've seen about it already happening.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We went all digital here a couple months ago and I had to do the same thing.

6. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    I talked with Charter and they said the transition is based on account numbers and they do them in in groups. My area, from what the rep said, will transition sometime starting in March. They'll send out the first notification at least 30 days in advance of the transition and when they have the date confirmed, they will send out a second one. Both notifications will be sent via postal mail and not included in the monthly service invoice mailing.

7. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    The transition is based on where you live. There's no way, unless account numbers are geographically based, that it can be determined by your account number. They have to do it for everyone connected to the same node or hub at the same time. They may be doing *notifications* by account number, but the actual transition is purely location based.

8. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    They are geographically based, since the rep told me that the account numbers were tied to locations.

They're doing the upgrade in groups and by account number, since he referenced my account number when looking up when our area would go and not by my zip code.

9. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Yeah, I still think it's not actually determined by your account number, it would not be done in an entire zip code all at once. By asking for your account number, he'd know which hub and node you were connected to and would then be able to figure out when it'd be done. The account number determining when it was done just makes absolutely no logical sense. It was just how they looked you up.

10. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    Do you still need the TA/Are there still SDV channels for your all-digital rollout?

All the Charter techs around here (SoCal) are promising left and right that dropping the analog channels will mean no need for SDV and tuning adapters.

--Carlos V.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    This is the point where you remind yourself of your user name and that you're dealing with a cable company.

12. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Over at DSLReports there are people who are reporting the same thing (that they've been told by Charter reps that SDV is going away) but also there is evidence that TAs are still required in areas that recently went all digital.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. In their presentation regarding their offer to buy Time Warner Cable, Charter said that they wanted to "deleverage" the "switched video platform" so I think they *want* to go in that direction and will eventually do so, which is good news.

However, they are also working towards eliminating CableCard support through their FCC waiver which states that they can stop issuing new cable cards if they can get a retail product that uses their downloadable security on the market. They will be committed to support existing cablecards in the field, though, for some time to come.

13. ort

ort Member

Jan 5, 2004
    I'm in St Louis myself and just got a letter from Charter about this.

I'm a little confused. What is this mysterious digital equipment I need to keep my old series 2 working?

And, on their FAQ, which seems pretty detailed, there is no mention of a tuning adaptor. That would be amazing. I hate the freaking tuning adaptor. It causes me all sorts of grief.

That said, I'm pretty sure we will need an SDV box because expecting Charter to get anything right is pretty much out of the question.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The digital equipment will be a cable box. A tuning adapter would not do you any good since it will only work on a cablecard TiVo. Controlling a cable box with a TiVo is always hit or miss so good luck with that setup.

15. ort

ort Member

Jan 5, 2004
    Looks like there is another TiVo mini in my future.

16. chrislay

chrislay New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    My area switched as well last weekend, after redoing guided setup, I'm still not getting program information on a majority of my channels. I get it for the locals and strangely enough, HBO, Flix and the Indie channels, but nothing else. It says To Be Announced for the rest. I have tried connecting and downloading info each day, but still no updated program guides. How long should it take to roll that out? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps a zipcode that has the new lineup would work? I have tried 63104 and 63118 so far.

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The 63118 zip has a digital rebuild lineup. You likely aren't offered that lineup by default when you run guided setup and have to manually select it. Also be aware that eventually they will kill off one of the lineups so you may have to run it again if your guided data starts running out.

18. timr_42

timr_42 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    Turn on channel 3(I know not a real channel). In my area and a couple other that I know of, they have been running an information video. On the screen there is a crawler that lists when the switch is going to happen in your area.

If you have to get a box(like I did) go early. I didn't and there was over an hour wait to get one.

19. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    I do have a Charter cable box on one TV (needed for the promotional Triple Play pricing I'm on), so I'll check Channel 3 on that box and see what comes up. Thanks for the pointer.

20. chrislay

chrislay New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks, I went back and tried again with 63118 and that worked. I think the trick was when it asked me what was on channel 13, I selected "WXPS-Independent" instead of the more intuitive "WXPS-DT." Of course, I don't know if that is the common channel that Tivo picks for the area, YMMV.