1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charged for outlets PER cable card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by roundsjr, Oct 19, 2006.

1. roundsjr

roundsjr New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Is anyone else out there getting charged for "additional outlets" for each cable card they have??? My cable company gave me 4 cable cards. Even though it's only TWO outlets being used, they are charging me for FOUR !! Anyone else? What a rip!

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, it seems the charges vary greatly for different cable companies and even among different markets of the same cable company.

I'm with Cox, Orange County, CA. I decided to keep the cable co. DVR for now so I'm getting charged for 2 "additional outlets" and 2 cablecard fees. Since the "additional outlet" fee is only $1.59 I didn't want to make a stink about it right now. At some point soon I will be returning the cable co. DVR at which point I may try to convince them there will be only 1 digital outlet in which case I should not get charged for any additional outlet fees at that point.

I think most cable co. billing structures are currently based on the assumption that CableCards go into individual TV slots and hence it made sense to charge an outlet fee per Cablecard. With some reasoning with a CSR you may be able to convince them that the S3 is a single device taking only 1 outlet and hence only subject to at most 1 additional outlet fee.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Some people have been able to convince the cable company to remove the additional outlet charge for the second CableCARD after explaining how the TiVo works. However otehrs have also tried and been denied.

Dan

4. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    When the multi stream card is out, does anyone think it will solve this problem? Or will they charge more for a multi stream card?

Edit: This assumes that the Series 3 will use multi stream cards soon after the become common.

Tim S

5. Georgia Guy

Georgia Guy Early Adapter

Feb 21, 2003
    Atlanta
    Comcast says they are going to charge me $6.99 per month, PER card.

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    How much would they be charging you per unit if you were just using a digital cable box?

7. Georgia Guy

Georgia Guy Early Adapter

Feb 21, 2003
    Atlanta
    Not sure....they are presently charging me 9.95 for my "DVR Service/HDTV Ready" box (6412), and 5.99 for "Digital Service A/O" (older digital box for my S2 to control), and 1.99 for "addressable Up/Dn Fee", 3.25 for my "channel guide", and 73.99 for my "Digital Silver Package". Kinda adds up fast.

They say when I return the 6412 I'll save 9.95 there, but will still have to pay $6.99 each for the cc's.

8. wdave

wdave New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Stevenson, MD
    I'm one of those who failed to convince. Conversation went something like this:

Me: I added two cable cards to my account for one outlet, but am being charged twice.
    Them: That's correct. There's a charge for each cable card.
    Me: But they are going into the same device. Your charge is supposed to be an *outlet* charge.
    Them: Is this for the new Tivo?
    Me: Yes.
    Them: You have two cards. So you have two charges.
    Me: How many outlet charges do you charge for your dual tuner DVR?
    Them: One
    Me: Then I should only be charged one outlet charge for *my* dual tuner DVR.
    Them: But you need two cards for yours. So there are two charges.
    Me (giving up, switching gears): Verizon will soon be offering Fios in my area, and you (Comcast) are not price competitive with Verizon. Do you have any price breaks you can offer me that would allow me to stay with Comcast instead of switching?
    Them: We can reduce your internet cost to our new 6 month promotional price, saving you $20/mo.
    Me: Ok, do that. Thanks, bye.

I'll be switching to Verizon Fios as soon as it's available. I hate Comcast.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They made a mistake calling it an "outlet fee", in that they never envisioned dual tuner/cablecard devices that plug into one coax outlet. The reality is the fee is (and should be called, to avoid confusion), a device access fee, as you probably have to pay to have each cablecard authorised to access the cable network.

As for multistream cards, there will only be one device access fee, as there is only one device to authorise.

10. pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Fine. Then they should be charging twice for their own DVR, as it has two "devices" (i.e. tuners) accessing the system. I'm moving to Vegas in January and will get an S3 then. If Cox attempts to charge me twice for my S3 I will explain to them that it is one device just like the Cox DVR is one device. If they decline to accept that arguement I will inform the FCC, the local franchise authority, and my new congressional and senate reps. If I'm feeling particularly nasty I will also file an antitrust complaint with the Department of Justice.

The other solution is for the cable companies to get off their collective asses and get the multistream cards in so we can use those instead. It'll make for an easier install and prevent this confusion.

11. Sy-

Sy- New Member

Sep 29, 2005
    Ewa Beach,...
    You should consider yourselves lucky that you are only being charged an outlet charge. We have to pay $3.10 for each cable card, then the outlet charge to the second card $8.00, then (This is the best one :rolleyes: ) we have to buy the HD entertainment package for EACH cable card or set top box at $6.95 a pop.

~Sy

12. cassiusdrow

cassiusdrow Member

May 21, 2003
    NJ
    My cable company (Patriot Media - a small 31 town company in NJ) is charging me a $1 rental fee, a $2 additional outlet fee, and a $2 charge for HD Plus tier (non-OTA, non-Premium - INHD, HDNET, TNTHD, etc.) for each card. So two cable cards costs $10 total, which isn't all that bad compared to some of you, but the two outlet charges for one device does bother me.

It doesn't even pay for me to return my HD cablebox, because one box is free with the digital packages.

13. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I'm sure glad I don't deal with crap like this with DIRECTV.:)

14. pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Yea. The HR20 is so much less sucky for DirecTV customers. ;)

I have come to the point in my life that I believe every company is out to screw me. My only choice is which company I think will screw me the least. Or at least one that will buy my dinner before they screw me. That would be OK too.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Hope you are enjoying your HDLite...

16. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    someone else might already have posted this but i believe the wording is the FCC's and that's where it came from .

17. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

you;ll save the $2 outlet fee on the HD box. And I'm told that they will "deduct a percentage or somethign" for giving the box back. I handed back my SD box tueday- I'll let you know what next months bill really says-LOL

18. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    it's very similar actually-

how much do you pay for an extra reciver again?

It's cheaper for sure- but they get you for "mirror" fees? Looks like cable picked up a nasty habit from DBS for once- usually it's the other way around.

19. cassiusdrow

cassiusdrow Member

May 21, 2003
    NJ
    The HD box is controlled by my Pioneer TiVo, so it isn't going back anyway.

After they added the cablecards, they also added a $9.95 PVR fee to the HD box. I had to call them and tell them to remove the fee as I never use the PVR in their box and I won't pay for it. Definitely go over your bill carefully when you get it.

20. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    foujnd it- the FCC calls it "addtional connection charges"

47cfr76.923
    http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ccess.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/octqtr/47cfr76.923.htm

that regulation basically says they need to charge a price based upon what it really costs them. It is not supposed to be a profit center.

But it's all kinds of FCC speak so it's not so crystal clear.

It could be that the costs for an addtional outlet are the splitter and 30 foot of wiring to get there and then prorate that over 10 years. But some how I think that's not what they are talking about since it would come out to like 10 cents an outlet. it references another reg about how they are supposed to do their accounting, and without diggin into that I'd bet that they are allowed to charge for a fraction of thier head end equipment on the additonal outlets.

I guess they could make the argument that since the head end must keep 2 cards in it's database and send out 2 sets of signals that 2 fees are in order. And that their own DVR's only get one auth signal so that's how they charge for 1. If that's the case then Tivo needs to get the ball rolling on the M-card certification so we can all demand m-cards and be done with this.

Inetersting is that the reg in the link above also says they can charge to recoup any additonal programmign charges per outlet. So I am guessing the HD content contracts are per outlet and not per household like analog rates. So that might explain why there are HD 'mirriring fees' beeing charged also.